Logo

Expanding fuel tanks

riopga

Regular Contributor
I realized that I asked a question on an old thread, so I am reposting here.
The new fuel tanks with one way vents swell up when it gets hot (and its really hot down here in Texas a lot).
Does that put excess pressure on the fuel diaphragm?

I think the diaphragm can handle that pressure.----I prefer the old metal tanks that came with Johnson / Evinrude in the 1960's and 70's.-----I have no use for this modern thinking and non practical stuff.-----Disconnecting the hose may help here.

Not knowing exactly what tank you have, generally speaking they usually have a pressure relief valve that will let some air out before something rips or explodes. Heck, they knew it is going to sit out in the hot sun, even Texas (or Florida)

I think the diaphragm can handle that pressure.----I prefer the old metal tanks that came with Johnson / Evinrude in the 1960's and 70's.-----I have no use for this modern thinking and non practical stuff.-----Disconnecting the hose may help here.

That's exactly what I do. Only connected when in use. I haven't been able to find any of the old metal tanks. I would love to find some because they would fit my boat, a 1973 Arrowglass.

Find near me, that is.

Most OMC metal tanks have a vent that operates with one of the little pins that push in when you attach the hose coupling to the tank. Pretty stupid eh? What engineer would ever dream up something like that? So let's just build a plastic tank that will blow up like a balloon and put tons of pressure through the fuel pump onto your float valve. What could possibly go wrong with that????IMG_20201104_131036411_compress56.jpg

Last edited:
Back