Logo

Exhaust misalignment - can't align riser with Y pipe Volvo AQ271C

Fabian93

Hello,

I have inherited from my granddad 23 foot boat with GM small block V8 (originally AQ271C) mated to Volvo DP290A outdrive. In late 2020 I have started rebuild of boat and engine. Now almost 3 years later everything is ready for boats return to sea, but one big problem emerges to bite me.

It is alignment of Y pipe horns to exhaust risers. On port side alignment is actually spot on, but on starboard it is not even close, as seen in pictures, and it buffels me hard...

20230611_132911.jpg
20230610_164959.jpg
20230610_165010.jpg

I put engine two weeks ago, and I have installation manual for aquamatic series engines. Because of the tight engine room, engine has to go in without exhaust manifolds and accessories.
20230530_182520.jpg
20230530_190526.jpg

Tried to do my best aligning the engine according to the manual and lining up markers on bell housing and transom shield. Gaps between marking (picture for reference) are as follows: port side 2.5mm, starboard side 4.5mm, top side 5.0mm, so it is two and half millimeters discrepancy almost within the spec in manual (2 mm difference between each other). Also worth noting is engine naturally came to this position when clamp ring was tightened to spec so I called it good (mistake?).

20230610_165945.jpg
in this picture is port side

Also 3 years ago when started to tear into it, I didn’t draw much attention to exhaust alignment, because everything was corroded and in bad shape and it wasn’t obvious that time that there is some problem. I also repaired exhaust Y pipe horns because they were corroded.
20200901_144746.jpg
20220320_210928.jpg
20220320_213027.jpg

Worth noting is exhaust manifold are new (HGE 5804), and risers are little bit older but in OK shape (GLM 51510). Old manifolds are original Volvo Penta and are in bad shape. Does aftermarket manifolds have to be machined or something, because with quick measuring between old and new manifolds, new manifolds are ¼” further out from block on riser mating surface than original old manifolds

So kind and knowledgeable folks of this forum please help :) Have I been doing something wrong or what should I try to do to rectify this problem. Also I’m kinda hastefully writing this down, so I will provide additional info if something is not that clear.

thank you ;)

Re: "new manifolds are ¼” further out from block on riser mating surface than original old manifolds"..... There you go! 1/4" + 1/4" = the approx 1/2" you are off... A good reason to stick with OEM.

It is also missaligned with original manifolds unfortunatly. Less so on the starboard side, but more on port side where with replacement manifolds is spot on. Will try to take better pictures tomorrow. My big problem is vertical missaligment on on starboard side... Can't wrap my head around it.

Thanks for reply tho ;)

I will try to bring starboard side up unless motor mounts are sized and see what happens... It is all strange to me realy, hard to belive that 3 years ago there was this missaligment. I didn't change engine foudation height (although foundation core was rebuilded), motor mounts height, transom shield position (transom was rebuilded but as engine foundation i took care of positioning everything as original by carefully measuring everything)...

Could y pipe starboard horn be bent? Didnt notice but maybe i should measure top of horns to some fixed point (steering fork center or something) and maybe compare values with some else who has same setup... idk

In case, try to consider changing some major parts. For this, you can go and checkout the boats accessories and see the make and model that will work along with your boat models. Vertically, this is a suitable solution.

Fortunatly it was just simple problem with starboard engine mount being to low so I cranked it up 1/2 inch and also pushed engine more over to starboard side and now is aligned both exhaust manifold and bell housing/transom shield markers are spot on... so yeah.. problem got me stuck, but also learned something new...

Back