Logo

Evinrude XP 150 timing issue

ShadowVampyre

Hi. I am new to timing, and trying to set it on my 1988 XP150.
I have watched several YouTube videos and have the factory ahop
manual.
I have a TDC tool, and the flywheel marks and measurements are all good with TDC for cylinder 1, according to the manual and videos.

However, when clamping on my friends, very old timing light to spark plug wire 1, the strobe does pickup the painted marks, but they are not by the arrow towards the bow side of the engine.
The marks light up near the stern side of the engine, almost like backwards. I did remove the flywheel to install new timer base and power pack a few months ago. The motor seems to run OK, although the idle is high for sure. I will be working on that soon.
Also, my dash tach does not work, so I have a digital one from Amazon, has the wire wrapped around spark plug 2. Runs like 1300 rpm at idle, about double. Anyhow I don’t think that is related to the timing, is it?

anyhow, I am buying my own new timing light today, but really need some help why the timing flywheel marks are nowhere near the arrow at the bow side.
I have a video also. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLhh64kMYgjhN4BYVv4ksaiHM6VeQ

I am not downloading that. Which timing spec are you trying to find. If you are looking for max timing it has to be done with the motor running at full throttle. Or you need to find to find the Joe reeves method of timing which is a much safer way. You also need to do a compression test.

Last edited:
I am trying to adjust the pickup timing. I know I will need to check the max timing under load at throttle. This is just the initial timing.
What I am confused about is that timing marks are showing up under the timing light way to the back of the engine, not near the TDC adjustable marker arrow.
timing light on spark plug #1, arrow facing the plug.

Here is a short 4 second video showing this:
[video]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d4ygE5vMbK-P4Ruy0zti4hNw[/video]

Back