Logo

evinrude vro 50hp carb problem??

ktm206

hey, i have a evinrude vrp 50hp, it runs great out of water, stays at idle, revs up doesnt stall, when i put the boat in the water it also runs good at idle, but when i go to speed up the motor, i would go to about half throttle if i try to go past that it would stall, i cant get the boat to reach full throttle. but if i put the choke/primer it would reach full throttle. i cleaned the carbs like 3 times, all the jets with little piece of wire, nothing is plugged, floats are ok, but for some reason at high rpm it would just stop getting gas. any one possibly know this problem?? it really puzzles me. and my fuel pump is ok

but if i put the choke/primer it would reach full throttle.
That action is yelling that it is a fuel delivery issue. Did you soak the carbs and use compressed air to blow out the circuits and HS jets?
my fuel pump is ok
How do you know? Did you use a "T" to adapt a pressure gauge to it? What was the pressure? Did you examine the FP internals?

yes i soaked the carb in some "gunk" carb cleaner for about a day, yes i cleaned the hs jet, what i did to make sure my fuel pump works is i disconected it and plug the carbs dirrectly to tanks and pump fuel manually while i was testing it on the lake and it was always doing the same problem, so i figured its not a fuel pump problem. unless im wrong is there some sort of safety switch that cuts out the motor at half throttle? cause when i got the boat i had to rewire the ignition switch, cause the previous owner lost the key, so i have toggle switches to start it and for the choke, is there a wire in the key switch that i maybe put together wrong?

Last edited:
Compression test and a check for spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" on both cylinders is how the trouble shooting starts.

what i did to make sure my fuel pump works is i disconected it and plug the carbs dirrectly to tanks and pump fuel manually while i was testing it on the lake and it was always doing the same problem, so i figured its not a fuel pump problem. nothing is plugged, floats are ok, but for some reason at high rpm it would just stop getting gas.
Your fuel pump should be tested w/a gauge "T"d into the output. You need to see 4-6 psi.

Having to use the choke / electric primer indicates that there is fuel blockage in the carburetors.-----The electric primer bypasses the carburetors.------Where the high speed jets that screw into the float bowls removed for cleaning.--Those jets are about 5/8" long with 1/4-NC thread.--------That is a step that you may have done , but is often overlooked as per many posts on this site and others.

Back