Logo

evinrude triumph 65 hp - how to tilt this heavy beast? and a few other questions.

tinkerwalsh

hey everyone - first post here. stoked this place exists.

I recently got a whole boat set-up. a simple fiberglass speed boat from the early 70s, with trailer and a 73 evinrude triumph. From the original owner and it is/was well maintained. i got it for next to nothing because the low end was toast. i found a low end - installed it. didnt go. realized there was a bad solenoid. replaced it - fired right up!
pretty happy about it. this is my first boat and first time working on a outboard. so this leads me to a few questions....

1) This engine is heavy. i tired to tilt it from the back of the boat (in my yard) and couldnt lift it. I was able to get it to tilt from the ground by pulling up on the low end. took a lot of strength. This is not practical in the water so am I missing something? should i be able to manually able to lift a 65hp engine myself?

2) This engine doesn't have a 'tell-tale' hole? perhaps it has a overheating horn? is there a way to test this? I dont want to blow this engine up.

3) The engine has never seen the salt water - but i am planning on taking it around some of the lahave island because there is really nice boating there. what should i used to lube the engine with? I seen people just spray them down with rustcheck?

Like i said this is my first shot with a boat and outboard motor. Its new to me - so is there anything else I should be aware of? any other necessary maintenance I should consider before i take it in the water?

thanks so much for the help!

I guess hard to tilt depends on your definition. I never found them hard for me, but now that I'm in my 80's maybe my opinion might change. Of course, there is the possibility of corrosion tightening things up.

It does have an overheat horn that might go off--usually too late. That motor simply can't stand overheating, which often destroys them. Your best defense is a known good water pump.

I guess hard to tilt depends on your definition. I never found them hard for me, but now that I'm in my 80's maybe my opinion might change. Of course, there is the possibility of corrosion tightening things up.

It does have an overheat horn that might go off--usually too late. That motor simply can't stand overheating, which often destroys them. Your best defense is a known good water pump.

yah seems like must be a issues with the tilt - im gonna check it out. thanks for the reply about the water pump as well!

Back