Logo

Evinrude Motor problems

Jnicholes

Hello!

I am new to the forum. I just joined today. I don't know if this question goes here, but I recently made my first boat purchase five weeks ago and I found that my motor has a problem. It is an Evinrude motor, very old, don't know the year or horsepower. When I try to start it the motor cranks and turns, but it does not start. It has fuel and electricity and a new starter, but it wont start. My first question is, how do I tell the year and horsepower on the motor? Second, can anyone help me find the problem?

If you need me to post pictures, I will get them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Jared

Type out a reply, and click the "Go Advanced" button. Scroll down a bit and click on "Manage Attachments". Follow prompts to add files (your pictures).

Older model engines usually have a plate on the port (left) transom bracket that lists the serial and model number.

What is that "Model" number?

Hello!

The model number is 50522. It is an Evinrude motor. I am sorry, but I cannot access my pictures at this moment, something went wrong with my camera. Anyway, when I try to start it, it just tries to start then seizes up. That and a little smoke. I did some research on the Internet and it said that fuel was the problem and that I needed a fuel/oil mixture to run it properly. Could this be the problem? I will try to post pictures again later, by the way.

Thanks!

Jared

That # translates to a 1960 model 75 hp.---------Gas and oil to be mixed at 24:1 on it.-----------Ran it on straight gas ?---------------Magneto may need attention.

Fuel/Oil mixture should be 24/1..... 1 qt of good quality 50/1 oil to 6 gal of gasoline (87 octane is fine).

Spark plugs should be Champion J6C plugs gaped at .030. That engine has belt driven magneto ignition only.

With all spark plugs removed, the spark should jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

If you've run it with straight gasoline until the engine seized up... I'd suggest you discard it.

Hello!

Sorry I wasn't on for awhile, my computer wasn't working. I have some more information on the problem and I still need some help. We just added the right fuel mixture, charged the battery fully, and tried it. It turns over perfectly except it still won't start. THIS time me and my grandpa found out that the spark plugs, all four of them were not producing sparks. All four were good, but no spark. My grandfather says its a part called a distributor, I don't know if that's the right name. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on the problem?

Thanks!

Jared

Back