Logo

Evinrude intruder water in cyl info?

Bman396xfd

Recently bought a javelin with a 1992 Evinrude 150 on it. Wasn't running when I bought it. But the gas was clearly bad. So i get it running. Fresh gas. Clean the carbs. Ta da it's a runner.

Today was my first day out with it on water. It ran pretty good! Then. It didn't. Then it would run better. Then it would start missing again. Now it does have the wrong NGK plugs in it I found out and they are pretty much fouled. So that's contributing to. But what I also noticed is cyl 1 piston is clean as a whistle. Plug looks normal. And it did have a rattle to it WOT on plane. From my research it seems this is due to water getting into cyl1 and that would cause that rattle noise?

I've read it could be head gasket. The thermostat somehow? Or worst case the block is cracked. I just need more info on what I can do to narrow it down and what my options are. I don't mind trying new head gasket or thermostat. But If it's cracked I'm not looking into digging into this engine. Can I just run it as is through the spring/summer then repower in the fall/winter? Or is this something that's going to take the power head out completely in short order?

From your symptoms its a leaker and continued use will cause powerhead failure. Also it does not have a head gasket but o-rings that only fail from severe overheating.
1709517793343.png

Well the engine didn't run hot from what I ran it today. But I did notice some crap seeping from the thermostat plugs?( Prior to me running it)

I would think the cost of repairing the issue would just far exceeded picking up another good used engine? And does anyone still do this repair?

No head gasket I think.----Sealed with O-rings.------Checked the gear oil ?-----Remove cylinder head and inspect.----If you have to pay a shop you might as well look for another motor.

Talked to him today. And honestly the prices aren't nearly as bad as I thought. I still have to test the whole power head down to the block which is kinda intimidating, but it's hopefully something I can get done.

Talked to him today. And honestly the prices aren't nearly as bad as I thought. I still have to test the whole power head down to the block which is kinda intimidating, but it's hopefully something I can get done.
And luckily I live in East Tennessee so he's not far from me

So I took the heads off. There's still crosshatch in the bores, but some scoring as well. The number 1 cyl looks great. Now the left bank bottom cylinder is concerning. What I did find was scoring more than the usual. And the cylinder head is beat up. Like something was beating around in the cylinder. Will attach pics. However the piston is perfectly fine? Could this have been a rebuild where they just didn't replace the head? Detonation damage? Otherwise the engine looks good just that one cylinder that probably needs a redo.

Can't seem to upload the pics straight to this site. So here's a link to them.

that damage is most likely from it loosing a ring. if the rings are all there, and its got oversize pistons then yes they re-used that head. not great. I use Jay about 8x a year he is the best of the best. i live in RI and dont mind paying shipping. hes the only one I trust, although there are others that im sure do great work. do you have the proper tools like the rod alignment tool to set the rod caps correctly? id check the part #'s on pistons to be sure they arent .030'' already. if they are, Jay might not have enough room to clean it up and sleeves are expensive.

They're .020 the pistons are stamped. And rod alignment tool? Got a part number for the tool?

And I know number 1 gets a new sleeve after the repair. I'm anticipating number 6 needing a sleeve. It MIGHT clean up but I'm just gonna go ahead and budget for a sleeve

It failed at sometime and rebuilt. Send heads with block so Jason can surface. Be careful with recirc parts especially lower drain fitting as these are getting scarce if broken

Scrape the heads clean.----Hold them together and use a feeler gauge in the middle.----Or see if you see light between them.----May have been resurfaced with last overhaul.

Yeah Jason said the heads probably wouldn't/shouldn't need resurfaced. And okay I wasn't sure if that damaged even if cleaned up would cause detonation issues itself

Every cylinder head I have looked at has been warped.----But if it has already been resurfaced it may not warp as much.----So easy for you to check this simple stuff.

Racer i just meant it wasnt great/ideal to use a head like that as i always thought it created extra places for carbon to accumulate. used ones are a dime a dozen on ebay. Always wondered how much you can re-surface an O-ringed head before you get into sealing issues? don't have the manual infront of me.

Back