Logo

evinrude fast wind 18hp 1960

Hello Everyone.
I am new at this . I just bought a 1960 evinrude fast wind. !8 hp the serial number is 1503252855
It came with no gas plug or tank. Any info on substituting or purchasing. I says thats its a presurrised gas tank. Any info out there

The model number is the beginning of the serial number: Evinrude 15032

As raceone says the drawings show a conventional tank, see: Fuel Tank That drawing will show what parts are available.

That engine should have a fuel pump. The pressurized tank engines didn't need fuel pumps.

Hello Evryone
My pic where in to large of a format. thats why i could add a pic. So i have three knobs in front of the boat. The first one i believe is the choke the secind one seems to be connected to the carb. What does that ine do. And the 3rd one on the right is turning by it self because the links are broken. But what doe sthat one do?
Please advise i

Attachments

• 3 ajustment knobs.jpg
    3 ajustment knobs.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
In this picture the adustment screw is in the air filter. So if i read the repair manual that one would have been connected to the thrird knob for air adjustment but the connectors ar no longer there. I tried buying them yesterday from marine engine.com but they dont ship to canada.

That is the low speed mixture adjustment.-----Try-----evinrudeparts.ca-----they may be able to help you.-----Where in Canada?

On a 64 year old motor I would do a complete evaluation before spending any beer tokens.-----Post the compression values here.-----It will need a new impeller.-----Any water in gearcase ?----Remove recoil.----Remove cover on flywheel.----Inspect coils.----See post #10

Hello Again
I took your advise and checked the condenser and coils. Need to replace coils and pointsé But at same time i noticed some oil So the top crankshaft seal.jpg

My question is i did the soap test and yes the seal is leaking, But the number 9 upper bearing seem to have a crack on each side of it. A hair line from top to inside the motor. Is it normally cracked or not and can you change the upper bearing . In manual it doesnt say. Do you need special tools.please advise

Do you have the motor apart ?-----I doubt you can see a crack on that bearing.----Are you sure you are not looking at the split of the engine block ????

On the internet it show the bearing for a 19660 upper bearing as two parts. I dont have the whole motor apart . But i wanted to change the upper seal i saw oil. And but i saw a hair line crap that is staright up and down. So i tjought there was a crack but it shows thats in two parts.
i wiil take a picture on the motor
I dont just want to change seal it bearing need to be changed . But do i have to i have to take motor apart to change bearing or can iy be pulled out like seal.

Attachments

• split bearing.jpg
    split bearing.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2
Sorry mate----The upper bearing is NOT 2 parts.----The center bearing is a CRACKED 2 part bearing..----And I am not working on my first motor.-----You have to be careful when looking at pictures on the internet.

Motor has to come apart to replace the top bearing.-----Why do you feel it needs to be replaced?.----I have never seen one of those cracked.----Lots damaged by water.

The bearing is located with a dowel pin.----Motor has to come apart to change bearing.----If bearing is bad , then crank is bad ( inner race) as well.----I do not believe the bearing is cracked on your motor.----Special tool used by shops to pull the seal.----Good luck with your motor.

On this repair video i saw the same cracks that mine
I cant go to shop today and take the actual picture beacause we are having a bad snow storm.

Attachments

• cracked upper bearing.jpg
    cracked upper bearing.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3
If you are referring to “cracks” in the top bearing…that was not the bearing, it was the “crack” between the two halves of the motor.

Back