Logo

Evinrude E60TLCEA 60hp 1989 motor - starter problem

ryans151

Hello,

I recently acquired a boat with this engine. When I first tried to start it, the ground wire would smoke. Also the starter was cranking very slowly. After a few attempts at starting it wouldn't crank at all anymore.

I took a multi meter to it and figured out there's only 9V given to the starter, and 12V given to the solenoid. Does this mean I need a new solenoid? Or could a fuse have blown? All the lights and pump still work on the boat

Thanks,

There is no fuse in the starter circuit.-----Proceed as follows.-----Have your battery load tested.-----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature.

There is no fuse in the starter circuit.-----Proceed as follows.-----Have your battery load tested.-----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature.

Just realized my tilt motor has no power either. Everything else does. Any tips? I did try a different battery

Two main causes of overheating wires are a high resistance (corrosion in the wire or at a connection), and too much current flow as from a locked starter or other component. I'd check the first one first.

Back