Logo

Evinrude E25elcne Gas hog?

aquarius23

Hello,
I have this motor on a 14 foot grumman GSS. The motor runs great, starts really good, idles good, good power. The boat and motor seems to like to cruise right at 21 to 22 mph, top speed was 30. May have gone faster but that was fast enough for me. I filled the fuel tank up and marked a dowel rod with the level so I could fill again to that mark and measure the amount of fuel used. I ran at cruise speed (21 to 22) for 1 hour. GPS on my phone showed I had gone 21.8 miles. When I refilled the fuel tank it took 2.5 gallons of gas. That figures out to be 8.72 miles per gallon. That seems like a lot of gas to burn for 21.8 miles. Maybe I am wrong, I do not know. What do you all think?
The compression is 130, 132. The main jet in the carb is a 59 which I think is correct. Low speed jet works as it should, rich/lean no problem. Float level is good and the needle and seat work as they should. I set the link and sync as shown on a few you tube channels. I do not have a manual for this motor yet and at 8.72 mpg I will get rid of it before I buy one.
My 9.9 Honda on this boat cruise is 10 mph and top speed 15.7 at 22 mpg. I know apples to oranges but that is what I have to compare.
Any thoughts on how to improve the mpg. Thank You.

Thank You for your reply. I do understand the 10% rule estimate for 2 stroke motors at wot. At cruise (21 to 22) mph I am at 1/4 throttle or less. That is why I am thinking it should do a lot better on mpg then it is. Thanks.

Keep in mind 1/4 throttle at the control setting might not mean 1/4 throttle at the carb..its not a linear relationship..

If yer running recommended plug what do they look like?

If fuel economy is a concern ya can always get a neutered 4 stroke..;)

What do I think? I think your 25 is doing great. Are you enjoying that time out on the water? That's really all it's about, isn't it?

First of all thank you for your replies. Makes good sense to me. The plugs are the correct ones for this motor. They have about 5 hours on them. They are dry and the ceramic part is starting to turn a light brown color. To me would indicate that the air/fuel ratio is pretty close to where it needs to be.
You are right. Enjoying time out on the water is what it is all about. At this time I am more concerned about range than speed. I think I will sell this motor and go back to my Honda. I have ran the Honda for over a year and I am happy with it. The extra cruise speed is nice but to me the mpg of the Evinrude is not worth.
Again thanks for the replies.

Back