Logo

Evinrude basic questions

rsharries

Hi all,
I am brand new to this forum and outboard motors. I just picked up a 15 hp Evinrude, model #E15RCCS. and I have a couple questions that i am hoping you can assist me with:
1. In my review of Evinrude's model reference, I "think" is is a 1980 production year? I am confused by the extra "C" in the model stamp...
2. It started right up (with the lower unit in a trash can of water), but only a small amount of water is being ejected through the hole on the back of the housing. I now have learned that it should be a steady stream (?) I HOPE that I didn't fry the engine by running it without cooling water :(
3. When running the motor for about 5 minutes, it continued to produce quite a bit of exhaust, is this normal? (the engine has been unused for a couple years)
4. Is it OK to transport the motor on its side or does it need to remain in the vertical position?

I am not adverse to DIY repairs and maintenance, however I am planning to take to motor to a mechanic for an initial assessment given my present lack of knowledge.

Assuming the motor checks out, I will be picking up the Seloc manual for from MarineEngine.com. Thanks for offering this valuable tool!

Thanks, RH

The CC makes it a 1988 model.----Can be stored / transported in any position.------Install a new water pump impeller now.

Get a genuine Evinrude service manual, often generic service manuals will be missing info and or wrong information. As Racerone stated get a new water pump, not just a new impeller, the entire water pump. When running in a barrel ensure the entire water pump is submerged plus 2”-3”.

A new impeller is likely all you need.-----Many good water pump parts are thrown out.----Dealers often install the complete kit to save shop time and ordering delay.

As said, it’s an ‘88
Model decodes as per the following, Evinrude 15hp rope start, 1988. The final “S” is a revision within the ‘88 year.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.png
    IMG_0904.png
    986.5 KB · Views: 2
(INTRODUCES)
Look at the letters at the end of the number, but forget about the very last letter....in your case the "S". So the CC make it a 1988.

Turns out that there were some small bits of rubber from the impeller plugging up the cooling water outlet port.

I am also looking to replace the dinged up propeller with a new one, but am having a difficult time locating a 9.5x10. shall i keep searching for the same replacement, or is another similar propeller suitable?

Turns out that there were some small bits of rubber from the impeller plugging up the cooling water outlet port.

I am also looking to replace the dinged up propeller with a new one, but am having a difficult time locating a 9.5x10. shall i keep searching for the same replacement, or is another similar propeller suitable?
You can get your replacement prop right here -->Marine Engine Solas Props

Back