Logo

evinrude 9.9 problem

tanuki

I have a 1975 Evinrude 9.9 that ran like a top last year and most of this year. All of a sudden (when the motor is warmed up) sometimes when I restart it the motor revs up extremely fast and I have to press the shut off button to stop it. It will do this many times and I have to keep shutting it down. It almost sounds like the motor is revving faster that wot (if that is even possible). After a while the motor will start and idle properly and run like a champ again. Last time out, motor ran properly to our fishing spot…I shut it down, anchored, fished for awhile, then when we were ready to leave I started it and it revved extremely high many times and I had to shut down again. I could not put it in gear as it was revving too fast. What I wound up doing was starting it and instantly putting it in gear ( I know, not a good thing) which made the boat lunge forward at wot. Went about 100 feet forward and then the motor ran properly again. Ran properly back to the trailer and when I got home and I flushed the motor in a garbage can it started and idled like a champ. Any ideas on solving my problem is really appreciated.

Back