Logo

Evinrude 50hp 1980s spark issue

Selge

Hi all, have what we believe to be an evinrude 50hp 1980s engine. Have been tinkering about with it for a little while. On checking over the ignition system we noticed that we were getting no spark to the spark plugs. Took off the leads to the plugs and check them, the plugs and leads seemed to be fine. Put everything back together and then had spark at one of the cylinders. We are assuming this could have been a loose lead or something if that nature. We then swapped over the leads to the primary on the spark generators and we then have spark at the cylinder we originally did not have spark at. And no spark at the one that was ok originally. We are leaning towards thinking this is an issue with the power pack. Is there anything else we are missing or anything else that can be tested.

Hopefully that makes sense thanks guys

Haha ok they are pretty good odds then. I’ll see if I can get on ordered up. Is there any way to test the pack it’s self. I know there is voltage coming to the one primary but not the other. It’s a 2 cylinder version

Haha ok they are pretty good odds then. I’ll see if I can get on ordered up. Is there any way to test the pack it’s self. I know there is voltage coming to the one primary but not the other. It’s a 2 cylinder version
What about a coil? You said when you switched plug wires you had spark on the one that didn't before you switched.

What about a coil? You said when you switched plug wires you had spark on the one that didn't before you switched.
Hi Ronnie.

Yes in order to rule out the coil, I swapped the wires to the primary on the coils. I have two wires that come from the power pack, and only one of the wires seems to be sending juice the the coils. When the wires are swapped over both coils will work fine.

Hi Ronnie.

Yes in order to rule out the coil, I swapped the wires to the primary on the coils. I have two wires that come from the power pack, and only one of the wires seems to be sending juice the the coils. When the wires are swapped over both coils will work fine.
Oh ok sorry my bad.

Back