Logo

Evinrude 5.5hp Fisherman Low Spark

brait97

I have a 1960 5.5hp (5520) fisherman that has a low spark and will not start.
I replaced the coils, condensers, points and spark plug wires.
I set the timing with an ohm meter.
I have 1 ohm across the primary coil and 8.5K ohm from the secondary winding wire to the stud where the wire connects.
When installing the wires I have 8.5k ohm from the secondary winding wire to the end of the spark plug wire also.
Using a spark gap tester, I am getting about a 1/8" spark on both spark plug wires. I don't know what else I can do to increase the spark.
Any suggestions?

make sure that your points gapped at .020 and are clean take a dollar bill and slide across the points with em closed to get any dirt or grime off the face if its still not producing good spark. with that said i have a few engines that produce a better spark with the points adjusted one way or another im not sure if its got something to do with sloppy and worn parts but my lark wont idle worth a darn unless the points are at .024 and i have a sportwin that is just the opposite it likes .018 for some reason so you might play with the gap a little and see what that gets ya. if the mag plate is sloppy you can replace it with the omc armature plate kit 580871or you can punch the top of the boss in 8 places to take the slop out of the mag plate

After checking the points gap and checking adjustment of the coils, everything looked correct.
I ended up removing the new coils I just bought and reinstalled the coils I had taken off. I ended up getting more than 1/4" of spark.
Thank you both for letting me tap into your knowledge.

i had a similar situation not too long ago with crappy coils that i bought brand new they were supposed to be seirra coils but i think they swaped em out with cheaper ones. that paticular set of coils was short about 6 laminations the only way i could get it to get a good spark was turn the engine faster than i could pull it with the rope they will spark with an electric start motor but otherwise they are garbage i had a set of crusty coils that was atleast 50 years old cus thats how long that motor has been in my family and those are still on my sportwin and they still work better than the chineseum coils that was supposed to replace em

Back