Logo

evinrude 48 spl lower unit??

yeti575

I have either an 1988 or 1989 evinrude 48 spl in need of a new lower unit. Does anyone know what other evinrude/johnson models share the same lower unit if any? (i.e. 40hp or 50hp of same vintage?) I have located a late 80's/early 90's 40hp motor and am wondering if the lower unit will match up. Thanks

You need to know your year for sure !!-----There were changes made between the 88 and 89 models .-------------Good information will get you good results.-----------------Otherwise the internet is just a good place to get bad results.--------------------The 40 and 50 HP are the same but you must have a model #.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm looking for my paperwork to find out the year for sure....worst case I'm sure the serial #'s will tell me.

Model # is what you need --------------OR ---------------post a picture ( exhaust housing and lower unit ) to determine what you have.

ok, thank you, I'll look into that for sure. Safe to assume that a standard-length freshwater outboard for a small bass boat would be a 20" longshaft?

Motor is an E48ESLCUS. Transom measures about 21" tall at center of boat. Do the last 2 digits of the serial # tell the model year by chance? Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

No the serial # has NOTHING to do with the year of the motor !!------------------go to -------------boat engine parts---------top of the page or ------------------shop.evinrude.com----------------and look around at your liesure.

Back