Logo

Evinrude 25HP problems

M

Michael Martino

" Hello- I have a 1985 Evinrud

" Hello- I have a 1985 Evinrude 25HP motor that I just bought. I put it in the water for the first time on Saturday. Before I ran it, I cleaned out the carb and installed new plugs. The engine ran great until I shut it down. It then did not want to start unless I held the throttle open. The engine also ran rough, smoking, and it would not idle. According to my GPS, I lost about 5MPH on the top end as well. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

The only variable I do know is that I am running Champion plugs that do not have the "Q" as the first digit. My local marine shop gave me a paart number with the "Q" but the plugs I already had in it did not. Does anyonee know what the "Q" means?

Thank you for your help.

Michael "

"Mike.... The "Q" indi

"Mike.... The "Q" indicates that the s/plug is a resistor type plug that reduces interference in any electronic equipment. Either plug should be set at .040 (NOT .030!).

Regardless of the problem, always check the compression and ignition first. Compression should be 100+ psi and even on both cylinders. Spark (with plugs removed) should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame.

If the above checks out okay, recheck the carburetor as something may have been in a fuel line that suddenly found its way into the carb, or you re-used the old float needle valve which may be flawed (tip worn) and is allowing the carb to flood somewhat.

Joe
"

Thanks Joe! Can I use the au

Thanks Joe! Can I use the automotive compression tester I have in my garage on a 2 stroke?

Thanks again!

Michael

"Mike.... Yes, a compression g

"Mike.... Yes, a compression gauge is a compression gauge. It'll work just fine.

Joe
"

Back