Logo

Evinrude 200 1976. HOW COME IT LOOK LIKE THIS?

Martinriis

Hello forum.

I have an Evinrude 200hp from 1976, and the bellcrank looks like the pictures i've attached.

I have found out that it originally just had a lever going straight down like i've drawn with the red.

If i make a lever that goes like the red i've drawn, then it should reverse, when i try to go forward?

The controller seems to be original for the engine. What have the previous owner made?!

I hope you guys can help, thanks :) 166765186_463811778002678_7953865967646406453_n.jpg166596941_278723900473372_2344134349990569324_n.jpg166995247_1122840778235087_8995197322380677224_n.jpg166765369_2739431863015512_7485026141220957393_n.jpg167184817_280650513500881_8154969875215178763_n.jpg

This is simple to me.-----The factory original lower unit shifted to FORWARD with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.-----Later / newer lower units shifted to forward with an UP motion.----So somebody cobbled up what you see to get a newer lower unit to shift.------Perhaps not a very good effort.----Sorry I can't look over your shoulder to see how it operates in detail.----And you are totally wrong by saying that originally the lever went straight down.-----The original set up was 2 levers on front of the block.-----Look it up on this site !!

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, that's what happened here. The problem could actually be in the control, cable, or lower unit itself. Have you tried to shift it with everything disconnected, manually? Racer has said that he would like to see it in motion. Can you create a short video and get us a viewable link? Is the modified linkage moving up and down? Is the lower unit oil nice and clean?

Last edited:
This is simple to me.-----The factory original lower unit shifted to FORWARD with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.-----Later / newer lower units shifted to forward with an UP motion.----So somebody cobbled up what you see to get a newer lower unit to shift.------Perhaps not a very good effort.----Sorry I can't look over your shoulder to see how it operates in detail.----And you are totally wrong by saying that originally the lever went straight down.-----The original set up was 2 levers on front of the block.-----Look it up on this site !!

Wow, quick answers! I really appreciate it! looks like i need to modify this system the previous owner has made then, and hope the cable will be strong enough to push and pull.

Its hard to find pictures of the original setup online, but i will look around on this site.

Thanks for the interest! I will try to make a video tomorrow where i do i manually, and with the control.

The big problem is that it needs a little bit extra force to into the gears, which i can do manually on the modified mechanism i showed you. If i turn the adjustment screw on the cable either of the directions, it is able to go between neutral and forward or neutral and reverse.

Right there's probably too much slop and play in the jury-rigged system to give you the full motion. Add to that any slop that may be in the control and the cable itself.

You can find the parts schematic for a 1976 right here on this page.----engine diagrams.-----Is there a model # on this motor ?------Yes the control is EVINRUDE.----I am not sure that motor is a 1976 Evinrude.----Picture of cowling ??-----I would love to talk to the party that did that installation.-----Not sure what they were thinking !!

Last edited:
I just assumed it's an 1976 from the number on the trim-tilt unit. the cowling is not original and says "235". I will send some pictures of the engine tomorrow.

But do you have any suggestions on what to do now? My plan is to make a better version of the system he has made, that has less play and more like the picture i've attached.

Well---Post more pictures.-----Post picture of tilt trim unit.---------Take a break figure out what you have.-----Determine condition of this 35 / 40 year old salt water machine before spending time and valuable beer tokens on it !!

Last edited:
I looked at half the video.--------Prop should be turned when you try to shift !----When the shift rod to the lower unit is pulled UP what gear is it in ??-----The shift linkages on the front of the block are the 1976 style.----But I believe a 1976 engine block was BLUE.

I looked at half the video.--------Prop should be turned when you try to shift !----When the shift rod to the lower unit is pulled UP what gear is it in ??-----The shift linkages on the front of the block are the 1976 style.----But I believe a 1976 engine block was BLUE.

Im sorry it took me so long to answer, but I've been caught up with school...

When the shiftrod goes up, it goes into reverse. And by shiftrod, i mean the end of the shiftrod towards the right hand side.
I still havent figured it out. Thought about buying a control box, from the year the start reversing this (where the shiftrod goes down when reversing. Would this work?

Back