Logo

Evinrude 1992 - electrical probs

jasoncmu24

Hi gang! good to see everyone here. Maybe someone can help me here. I have an eninrude 25 hp motor that won't turn over. So, I started with fuel, it's ok. Checked the plugs, and no spark. So, I went back to the coil packs to see if I get spark to it. I placed a screwdriver in the plug and moved it close to the engine block to see if I get a spark. Is that they right way to check it?

I want to see if I'm getting anything from the ignition module. Is there a way I can test the ignition module on this? I'm open for some ideas. I have it pretty much narrowed down to the coil packs or ignition module, I just need to find a way to confirm it. Once I know which is causing me a headache I can quickly replace the part.

I'm anxious to get this fixed, I have some Walleye fishing to do on Lake St. Clair in Michigan! (I heard they are tearing them up in places! augh!)

The engine does turn over (turns when you use the keyswitch)right? So your problem is spark. Did you disconnect the yellow/black wires to the packs? Is your laynard (if equiped) connected? In my experience it is never more than one coil and coils rarely go bad. You need to check stator output and trigger output. This test can be found in the manual. If both are good. Check the output of the CDI pack at the coils. If no voltage or low voltage, it is the pack.

The engine does turn over (turns when you use the keyswitch)right? So your problem is spark. Did you disconnect the yellow/black wires to the packs? Is your laynard (if equiped) connected? In my experience it is never more than one coil and coils rarely go bad. You need to check stator output and trigger output. This test can be found in the manual. If both are good. Check the output of the CDI pack at the coils. If no voltage or low voltage, it is the pack.

The engine does not turn over. So Its spark. I did check the yellow black wires to the packs and not getting any spark. I don't know what the laynard is connected or not. Are you talking about the coils by the ignition module? I'm going to put a voltage at the coil packs, but up at the ignition module there are two coils as well. I will have to check that too. That's the steps I'm looking for help on. I have the flywheel off and looking into it. I hate electrical issues. So hard to root cause!

Lets go back a step. When did the problem start? While it was running or over storage? When you say it "won't turn over", you really mean it turns over with the electric starter but you have no spark. My long shot guess is the CDI pack, as they are what I find is more often the culprit than anything. They more often seem to fail over storage than while running. However I just had a 15 hp loose spark while it was trolling......and that was the CDI pack. Also be careful how you are testing these components or you could end up replacing more than you have to. Its easy to diagnose these with a multi meter and proper test proceedures.

What exactly do you mean when you say " engine does not turn over "------------Are you saying it will not start or it will not turn over with the starter motor.-------Be specific as it will help get an answer for you !

Thanks for giving me any type of help. Let me clarify my post. I can push start (electric start) the motor and it does turn over. So, as I press the electric start, the starter is turning the flywheel and you can hear the pistons moving. I checked the spark plugs and I have no spark at it. I checked the connector prior to the coil pack. No spark. So, yes. I believe it's going to be the CDI pack that is my issue. The motor has sat in my garage unused for about 6 years now. So, there's a very good chance that it is the CDI pack that has gone kaput. Suprisingly, the motor is in brand new shape. Over the years, my family and myself have taken really good care of it. Under the hood, it looks brand new. There's no scratches or anything. I'll have to post a picture of it sometime to show how much I have babied it. But, as much as we can take care of these things, electrical issues will happen.

Is there a procedure I can get access to that shows how to check the CDI pack with a meter? I need to get a bit more information on how to look at that. I want to be exactly sure that is my problem before I go ordering parts.

early in the gane hondatech asked you if you disconnected the yellow/black wire to the pack?you said you checked them for spark.....i think he is talking about your wire(s) to the kill switch...do you have one installed?if you disconnect this wire you are eliminating this as a problem....effectively killing your kill switch and its circuit.....

hondamech and not hondatech.....sorry about misreading your name my friend...its getting past this old mans bedtime....

Hi Gang! Thank you for the advice. I have not tried anything yet. I had been distracted by another problem. My wifes truck decided to start running rough. Guess what that was? It was a coil pack issues. These ignition things must come in bunches or I'm just bad luck eh? lol.

I'm going to give a try tomorrow (Weds) and check the coils. I don't think it's the kill switch, I can check to see if it's open. If I hit the switch and close it. Well, that won't be the problem. Stay tuned. I'm going to have at it again with the outboard tomorrow after work.

As for the truck. I used my scanner, figured out cylinder 3 was misfiring. So I switched coil packs and it followed it. I found out the coil pack I had in there that went bad was a replacement from a parts store. Fortunately, the part had a lifetime guarantee, so I was able to get a new part for free. So, while I was at it and had these apart, I switched out all of the plugs and cleaned the throttle body. Now the trailblazer is running awesome! Plus, I'm getting 4 more MPG than before! How about that! :p

the kill switch should be open.....when it closes you ground the circuit...just disconnect it under the cowl .....

Back