Logo

Evinrude 1992 60hp Difficult to start

wok

E6Otlene really difficult to start. Have to have the revs really high and can take 30+ attempts. Any suggestions? Have changed plugs.

Yeah thanks did this. Top 2 were only 75 psi bottom cylinder 110. What is likely to cause low compression? Head gasket?

Head needs to come off for inspection.----Blown head gasket is possible.----But I think you will find this is going to be expensive.----Tested the overheat horn ?----Does hose going to the tell tale come off the side of the engine block ?----Or was it moved to the top of the block?----Service bulletin from 1994 said to move it.

Ok so tell tale still goes to side of engine block. Got a few questions. Can't get a mechanic who will work on these older engines so having a go myself as nothing to lose.
  • Is it worth trying seafoam shock treatment?
  • Should I keep using it or that doing more damage?
  • Where can I get a manual?
Thanks so much for your time.

there was a sb issued that calls for the relocation of the telltail elbow to be moved to the top of the exhaust housing so it would evacuate any air pockets but that is something to worry about after you figure out the low compression issues remove the head and see if the head gasket is split first order of business

Back