Logo

Evinrude 1992 60 hp-Engine runs great, Prop stopped turning.

Joe Wille

Have 1992 60 hp evinrude on 24' pontoon. I was moving full throttle and prop just stopped turning. At first I thought I was running out of fuel but soon realized i was not moving and engine was still running full. Please help.

Thank you:D:):)

Pull the lower unit off and check for a broken driveshaft or broken gears.-------------Was oil in the lower unit checked recently ?

If the engine instantly raced beyond its full throttle rating rpm and the boat slowed down to a stop, you've likely broken a driveshaft.

If the engine raced rather quickly but gradually and the boat slowed down whereas you could maneuver at a slow speed but not at a high speed, then the prop bronze hub has failed and is slipping within the propeller.

Thanks for reply? I have motor serviced by Marina every spring and I know they checkoil in lower unit. Last time this was checked was April 2012. A coworker suggested it was the shear pin. Is this a possibility? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to check for this.

Thanks Again

Thanks Joe, I was traveling at top speed when the boat came to a quick stop, but the engine remained at rpm's. My Father Inlaw was with me and he thought he heard a couple seconds of grinding noise at the time we started slowing down. My first reaction was to throttle down and turn off motor. I then looked at my motor like I had some mechanical ability:confused:. Next I started it up again. Starting fine I then engaged throttle and it sounded fine, just would not move. Is this this the shaft most likely? How hard of a fix is replacing the shaft, can a non-mechanic do it? If no, what would be a guesstimate of the cost to have a mechanic fix it?

Last edited:
You can not guess at the cost of the repair !!--Take the unit off and check the drive shaft.--------Drive shaft is expensive and a set of gears is expensive too.Driveshaft replacement is going to be well over $1000.00--------------Replacement of gears will also amount to that , or more depending on the internal damage.

I'd suggest that you drop the lower unit to inspect the driveshaft. If it's a two piece shaft, then hopefully it's an easy top portion fix. The lower unit needs to come off anyway.

Back