Logo

Evinrude 15hp Running at Half Throttle?

mxbrad57

Hi everyone,

New here. Names Brad and I have a question that Google hasn't been able to answer and neither has a search function.

I've got an older Evinrude here. Going by pics, I'm guess an 1985? Anyways, the motor was my grandfather's and they used it every day. My family now uses it 1 week a year. It use to run amazing. First couple pulls of the season and it fires up, after that for a week it was first pull. Went to use it last year and it was running at half Throttle most of the time.. But say you were crossing the lake, it might randomly kick into full throttle then it might drop back down an hour later. It will do it off and on. When it is working right, it sounds amazing and feels fine. I changed the plugs.. No difference.

This is leading me to think it's a coil issue? I'm thinking of changing the wires and coils before I use it at the end of the month.

Anyone else have this issue? Here are some pics of the motor, thanks in advance! This is the first time that my Dad can ever remember having any kind of issue with this motor.
FB_IMG_1565486231794.jpg
FB_IMG_1565486188362.jpg

It sounds like a coil issue. But it could be a power pack also. So you have one coil and plug working. And the other no spark. Try switching the good coil feed wire to the bad suspected coil and see if you get spark. If you get spark the issue may be the power pack.

If you don't get spark. Put the wires back to where they were before and switch the coils and see if you get spark

On the port (left) transom bracket (bkt holding engine to boat), you'll find a small plate with the model and serial number on it. Get the "Model" number to us and we'll tell you exactly what you have.

Model number is: CE15RC0B.

Switching the wires with the motor not in the water is hard to tell. Firing it up with the muffs on makes it sound fine.. There's not a lot of water close to. Me to try it under load. I'll see what I can come up with for that.

I will check the grounds tomorrow and make sure they are tight.

Coils do not generally kick in and out. They usually fail when they get warm and stay failed until they cool down. You can throw parts at it or do actual testing. When the motor starts running on one cylinder check spark. Take it to an idle and pull the spark plug wires off one at a time to find out which cylinder is the problem.

Last edited:
Sometimes, it's the simple things causing intermittent breakups................

Check the rubber plug connectors as the pins/sockets have a habit of backing out for one reason or another that results in a poor connection, which in turn results in what you speak of. Also the wires have been known to break away from the terminal pin or socket (a touch and break scenario)... BUT... still remain in the connector due to pure friction. Check mainly the ones leading from the timer base to the powerpack, and from the powerpack to the coils.

OMC's code is the word INTRODUCES whereas each letter stands for a number... I+1, N=2,T=3 etc etc. As such the model number decodes as follows:

CE15RC0B

C = Canada (Manufactured in Canada)
E = Evinrude
15 = Horsepower
R = Rope start model
C = 8 (Year Code)
O = 5 )Year Code) = 85 (1985)
B = Factory run number (Of no consequence)

Back