Logo

Evinrude 130HP V4 1995 2-stroke Tach not working

Mirco

Hi guys, I am experiencing a tach problem - its not working, neither is another replacement tach. It stopped working after I changed to a NEW stator and a NEW powerpack. All connections are fine and the engine works great (Evinrude 130HP V4 1995 2-stroke). I read in this forum somewhere that you can lift the powerpack, remove the grey tach sender wire from its standard connection and attach it to the the yellow-red wire on the connections strip. If the tach then works, then that would mean that the rectifier-regulator is bad. Does this also apply to my engine, which does NOT have a watercooled rectifier-regulator (I think mine is a 9 AMP one)? And if this trick works, does it necessarily mean that the rectifier-regulator is bad? Hard to imagine, as everything works perfectly, also the charging system. Input much appreciated!:cool:

If your rect/regulator is mounted under pack or on top of block it is water cooled. If swapping grey to yellow stator wire makes tach work it is a bad rect/reg and is failing internally. It maybe charging now but eventually it will fail..usually due to lack of impeller service as it needs changed ever 2 years.

Ok Faztbullet, thank you for the information - mine is probably water cooled, then. I'll start looking for a new rect/reg. Meanwhile: can I just leave the tach connected to this new situation, or does it need to go back where it was/to the grey wire?

can I just leave the tach connected to this new situation, or does it need to go back where it was/to the grey wire?

When/If the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier is replaced... Best to connect the gray tachometer wire back to the gray regulator/rectifier strip terminal where it was originally so that it will not only act as a normal tachometer but will also act as a warning (as it's done here) should the regulator/rectifier or charging system act up in the future.

Thank you Joereeves, that indeed sounds logical. I appreciate everyone's input! Sometimes I wonder how we did things before the internet... :cool:

Thank you Joereeves, that indeed sounds logical. I appreciate everyone's input! Sometimes I wonder how we did things before the internet... :cool:

Now that was when we were working for a living and making ends meet with a take home pay of roughly $7 or $8 per hour.... You were stuck with us Bubba :cool:

Ha! My first job.....other than lawn mowing and shoveling around the neighborhood.....was for $2.50 per hour at a Johnson Evinrude dealer. Did some service work but mainly inventory and boat cleaning. Joe was a very high paid mechanic about that time in 1972. I had to search out mentors who had the best reputation, and read service manuals. Life has gotten much better today in this way, but engineering today is really getting complicated, as we all know.

Last edited:
Hi Timguy and Joereeves, you guys do go back a long way then!!! With the help of the internet I became sort of a mechanic out of necessity, here in Cyprus it is close to impossible to find a good mechanic who actually knows what he is doing. I truely am the best mechanic I know for my two marine engines. The couple of guys that might be of some real help all live 150 km away from me and demand me to bring the engine to them, they would never come to my little harbour on the east coast of the island - and I really wouldn't mind paying them either, but there you go. I'm stuck with me :)

Micro.... The problem with a mechanic specializing in any make engine is that in making house calls, it's impossible to take the shop with him. And without fail, what happens without fail is that either one unusually needed tool is left behind OR a usually never before known $3.17 part fails which of course is 150 miles away. Best to have the engine at the shop! Got to agree with your mechanic on this one.

Yes, by not having a motor at my shop, it takes much more effort for successful repairs. I sometimes do house calls....like on L. Superior....bigger boats.....but it is not the best way to go. Pontoon boats on local lakes is another exception. But honestly, unless it's a simple repair, it's best to have the shop to work out of. To tell you the truth, most of my customers are educated about additional problems needing attention.

Last edited:
Yes Joereeves and Timguy, I hear you - it is indeed understandable. And in a way, I benefit, because I do learn a lot and by now am able to fix tons of problems :cool:

Back