Logo

Evanrude 15hp 1985 water pump replacement troubles

fbnoodleman

I have removed the lower end of this 15 hp Evanrude, and the drive shaft came out of the lower end, instead of the upper end (power]head). The impeller can not be changed without the drive shaft out of the power head. Can you help me out, getting this out of the power head?jim

Some shops may have an adapter for a slide hammer.---------OR you clamp a small vice on it to hammer it out.------------Or some shim stock and a visegrip with a hammer.----------No idea what is in your workshop as far as tools go.

Mix up some ATF and Acetone 50-50, turn the motor upside down and squirt the mix down the drive shaft. Then put a vice grip on the drive shaft and hang it upside down with a rope. Keep up with the mix and rap the drive shaft with a hammer occasionaly.

Some shops may have an adapter for a slide hammer.---------OR you clamp a small vice on it to hammer it out.------------Or some shim stock and a visegrip with a hammer.----------No idea what is in your workshop as far as tools go.

Thanks I tried that, but did not want to get too aggressive without further knowledge. I will try the acetone and atf as well, and thanks. I have limited tools here in Mexico, but will give it a try. jim n

Back