Logo

Ethanol Problems

E10 can hold up to half of one percent of water by volume, and the water molecules will dissolve in the fuel. The "solubilized" water will bypass the water separator and burn harmlessly through the engine.
I am curious if the dissolved water will decarbonize an engine like "pouring hot water into the PCV hose at fast idle", an old DIY mechanic's trick?

Here's what happens when ethanol gas is allowed to sit for (two years in this case) in a vented tank. The white 'gook' you see at the bottom of the bottle will not burn, yet it passes freely through filters, including a water separator.

Jeff

Attachments

• Gook.JPG
    Gook.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 29
Re: Ethanol Problems -"Ethanol Myths Clarified"

Regarding the recent posts on "Ethanol Myths Clarified", which I have already read many times all the sources many are quoting,
I must comment and say,that with the volumes of information I have in my files, dating back many years (20+), including numerous studies, very scientific objective data, class action lawsuits, and on and on,
and especially due to my personal interactions with our customers (who range from everyday people to VP's of Ethanol Organizations, Marine (and all engine types) manufacturers, testing laboratories, government petroleum inspectors and on and on...
I could very easily supply enough information to support whatever you want to believe:
"PRO or Against Ethanol", or convince just about anyone that either "Gas with ethanol is the BEST" or "Gas with Ethanol is the WORST".

Hopefully I'll have time in coming weeks to respond to specific claims and statements in above posts that are very inaccurate, (if you want me to),
but regarding ethanol truth, facts, false and/or intentional misleading information, I'm sure we'll all agree
that the "internet" has been the greatest source for non-factual and distorted information, (especially MB posts by otherwise very intelligent engine owners (and mechanics) that still just don't get it, on how to safely manage E10 gas blends...

- - -While I am usually very diplomatic (part of the reason why I don't spend too much time over the years on certain message boards that are obnoxious and rude),
I have recently decided for 2012 I will be much more out-spoken regarding ethanol, because everybody must do "something" to finally put an end to the ongoing corruption in this industry (ethanol and gasoline) to eventually stop all the time so many are wasting with useless, never-ending ethanol debates and controversy.- - -

AND Frankly I'm sick and tired of listening to people complain about ethanol in gas when they do nothing to find reasonable solutions or stay involved with the politics so that consumers would be better protected in the future.

Example: Would easy availability to buy pure-gas and protection of onsumer's right to choose ethanol-free (or E10, E85) at all public gas pumps solve most of the problems (controversy)?
Probably
- So how come few are supporting current legislation (both state and federal) and/or also supporting petitions made available by small and mid-sized companies (like my own) that have tried to accomplish this over the past 2-4 years?

To vent a little more...(Feel free to click off my post if I am boring you)...
  • Can fresh, properly blended E10 gasoline be safe for most engine types? YES...
  • Do consumers often create the problem or increase their risks for ethanol problems because they are unaware of how fuel mgmt. of E10 is very different than that of E0? YES...
  • Have numerous ethanol scams been going on for years, that should have been stopped many years ago by our government and/or other regulating agencies? YES...
  • Is the sale of contaminated E10 gasoline (EG. over-blended above legal max of 10% and/or water-contaminated) and
mis-labeling of gas pumps the sole cause for many of the problems engine owners have experienced? YES...
  • Have gas additive companies (with their very attractive, but too often misleading websites) been one of the most guilty (negligent) parties for providing non-factual and misleading information on E10 over the past 3-7 years? Certainly, and with good reasons (to increase their profits by convincing anyone who has ever had an engine problem, that their additive can fix and cure all problems...YES!
  • Has the EPA (whom I usually have or "HAD" great respect for) become more of an "Ethanol POLITICS Agency" and "Ethanol PROMOTION Agency" instead of a consumer/environmental PROTECTION Agency? Yes.
You get the idea by now of what I am trying to say -
Look forward to our future discussions here, and
hope all of you have a very safe and positive, productive, prosperous and especially peaceful New Year!

(Please excuse typos I typed this really fast and don't have time now to proof it).

Gail,
Owner of Fuel-Testers Company, a division of MLR Solutions

I have a 1985 johnson 185,I canged all my fuel lines to the ethanol resistant line and also replace my needles in my carbs to what they say is ethanol resistant.The older needles have rubber tips,and the new ones dont.a mechanic friend of mine had shown me the difference.

The newer needles should also have an elastomeric tip or they don't seal properly. The trick is to use the right elastomer.

Jeff

Hi, Bobby Cleveland here. Many of you know me as the Engine Answerman. I wanted to chime in on all the positive feedback you all have provided about STA-BIL. You are all correct! STA-BIL Fuel Ethanol Treatment should be used in every fill up to prevent the damaging effects of ethanol-blended fuels. Here's why - Ethanol-blended fuels attract water, and this water causes corrosion and other performance problems. Also, ethanol washes gunk off of dirty fuel systems plugging them and requiring costly repairs. Regular use of STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment has been proven to prevent the damaging effects of ethanol.

If you have more questions about STA-BIL or anything engine related, feel free to post them here, and I’ll respond directly. You can also view product reviews and information at http://www.goldeagle.com/products/10_oz_ethanol.aspx, or feel free to contact Gold Eagle Co.’s customer service team at 1-800-367-3245.

Back