Logo

Engines under water for 2 days

Turbo2gb

The boat sank in fresh water, engines were not running. 2 days later it was craned out and sat on land untouched for a month. They are 2002 mercruiser 6.1 mpi's with 535 hrs on them. I'm guessing they are salvageable. What should I do to get them running again? I would think remove the oil pan, valve covers, intake and exhaust manifolds and spark plugs to dry the engine out. Anything else before trying to start them up?

Only if remediation is done IMMEDIATELY upon raising the boat can you hope to save the engines. At this point you have scrap.

Yes correct they are 6.2's. It was a cabin fire and the fire dept filled the boat with water while putting it out which caused it to sink. It's been sitting all this time waiting for insurance investigation. When all is done I would have removed the engines if they could have been easily dried out and able to re start. What a shame, they were good engines and the bravo 3 drives were only 3 yrs old.

Drives should still be ok. Drain about 8 oz of lube out of the drives and inspect for water intrusion.
May have to redo the universals if water got in. Pull boot and inspect.

Last edited:
Back