Logo

Engine won't turn over when I need it too.

searay80

So I got stuck out on the lake the day after getting my boat out of the shop. It wouldn't turn over. If i jumped the starter solenoid it would turn but not by the switch. I made sure it was in neutral, wiggled it just in case the neutral switch was not engaged and still nothing. I ended up getting it to turn over by jumping a hot wire to all the wires temporarily at the switch for just a few seconds and then it would turn over and run. Ran great for about 30 minutes then it tried dying while driving but stayed running, then it did it again and did die. Had to do the same thing to start it with the jumper hot wire. Almost basically every time it died I had to jump that power line to the three terminals at the switch. Now that I have it home off the water on the trailer, no issues?!? Any ideas, really need help, this doesn't make any sense to me!!!

Corrosion or a loose wire in that ignition circuit, or a hot (+) wire rubbed through touching a ground that already blew the ign. fuse and is now trying to burn up your jumper as it rubs (thus cutting out) . Start at accessible places like the key switch or the boat to engine connector and see where you have voltage and where you don't.
Look for corrosion, or melted wire, damaged insulation etc.

Well now this morning everything is working just fine. Switch is turning over flawlessly. It doesnt make sense. The trim wasn't working when i trailered the boat yesterday, I had to short the up solenoid but even it is working this morning. Ground possibly?

Back