Logo

engine won't start

philcapper

Just bought a boat from a fellow who said after a couple of years of successful running all of a sudden the boat would not start. I'm not a I?O guy and so I took this 3.0 800 series to an I?O repair place for a diagnosis. I was told there was not spark andI probably needed to replace the coil, pickup, etc.etc. Sounded like a parts changer. What is the most likely culprit? One person told me the "ignition interrupter" could be the problem. Can I bypass a lot of the interlocks and work backwards from there?

if electrical- most likely- points corroded
do a visual inspection and get a multimeter or someone who has one and knows how to use it, and check out your ignition system

if not electrical - check out the fuel system.

or just do a tune up - one should always do a complete tune-up on a used boat purchase before heading out on the water

p.s. only V6 and V8 engines were ever mated to an 800 series. The 3.0 was paired with either 400 series, Cobra, or electric shift drives.

Ignition interrupter or ESA as OMC called it, only appeared on a few years of 3.0 production. Hard to say if your boat has one or not. Year and drive model would help for getting accurate advice.

First rule , always ...always look at the simplest thing first.Make sure red wire on coil is hot (has power) with ignition on, then points and condenser.

Back