Logo

Engine won’t run above idle! Help?

ChrisSupple

I just got a 24’ pontoon from my father-in-law. It has a 2007 Mercury 90ELPT 4S outboard with SN# 1B510215. The last time he used it was 3 years ago. It was having trouble with accelerating & it was very sluggish. I completely drained the built-in fuel tank & filled it with non-ethanol gas. I drained the tank by disconnecting the fuel hose at the motor. I gravity siphoned 10 gallons in just a few minutes, so I don’t think the fuel line is blocked. I replaced both in-line fuel filters. I also replaced the impeller, spark plugs, engine oil & filter. I connected water hose ear muffs & it started right away. Engine idles very smoothly, but when I slowly add throttle, engine sputters & cuts out as if it’s hitting the rev limiter. RPM’s won’t go over 1200. It will go back to smooth idle as soon as I back off the throttle.

I’ve owned & worked on several boats with I/O V-8 engines, but this is my first outboard. It seems to me that this is a fuel delivery issue, but I’m a total novice here! I’m looking for advice/help before I go any deeper into this motor!

Thanks for any input!!!

Attachments

• 27F11E41-28A7-42E6-ABA5-0FDE19F2296E.jpeg
    27F11E41-28A7-42E6-ABA5-0FDE19F2296E.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 2
Back