Logo

Engine Swap

kirkj

I'm thinking of buying a G

I'm thinking of buying a Glastron with a siezed AQ125A motor. I was wondering what motor I can put in instead of that rebuilt motor. It has a 270 outdrive. I'd like to get more power to pull a couple of tubes. I can get a mercruiser 3.7L but i don't know how hard it would be to swap it in. Any help would be great!

"3.7L as in the aluminum block

"3.7L as in the aluminum block 470? If yes, the answer would be NO.
For simplistic reasons, I'd stay with one of the Volvo Penta OHC 4's. They are great engines, and you will not have to change drive ratio, or much of anything.... if at all!

The SBC (in the right hull) is also an option, but again, many things must be changed in order to make this work."

"Kirk, if you want to repower

"Kirk, if you want to repower to something other than a 4 cylinder OHC VP, your best bet would be getting a whole package, i.e. engine, exhaust Y-pipe, bellhousing, transom shield and outdrive. Mixind and matching parts can be VERY expensive. I have posted several times about this topic, because this question comes several times every year.

Alternatively, you may consider buying a different boat that has the power you want."

"If I had my choice of engines

"If I had my choice of engines that will fit my boat, which one would be the best for power and trust worthiness?"

"try and unseize it.
If it&#3

"try and unseize it.
If it's toast, probably best to just rebuild the AQ125A with another Volvo B21 long block.
Or look for a trashed hull with a good running AQ131 or another AQ125A or B in it and make 1 boat out of two. That way you get everything you need like bellhousing and you'll have lots of spares when done.

Best for power and trust worthiness? Depends on your budget.
Unless you are going to do a lot of transom modification and fiberglass work, you have no modern repower options. Your outdrive system has a Volvo 4 banger specific mounting pattern and the gears in the outdrive are matched to the torque curve of an engine in that power range."

"The AQ151 will give you 146HP

"The AQ151 will give you 146HP and it will fit your current transom shield, exhaust pipe and bellhousing ("flywheel cover" for the mechanically correct
wink.gif
)."

How hard is it to find a AQ151

How hard is it to find a AQ151? I'm in Idaho so the resourses aren't nearlly as good some other places. What year were they around for?

"You might want to try some re

"You might want to try some reverse craigslist ads that start with "wanted to buy ... ".

Alternatively, there are a couple of good sized marine recyclers near Portland that you might want to check out."

"It is hard to beat one of the

"It is hard to beat one of the VP OHC 4's. They are a little spendy to over-haul, so finding a runner would be a plus.

Kirk, if this is a Glastron with an AQ 125 w/270 it is likely a 70's boat.... and very likely a small boat!
The boat would have been originally designed for this engine and power.
To change engines (weight and HP) may change hull characteristics beyond what the hull was intended for.
Having more power can be a good thing.... and may get you out of trouble when you most need it.
It can also get you into trouble when you least need it, if in the wrong hull!

I'm all for a project boat.... been there/done that. I also know how quickly we can get upside down in one! Often we'd have been money ahead to have purchased one from the get-go that better suited our needs!

Question: Do you think that you would be better off buying a little larger and later model boat with a little more HP?

Food for thought!

."

"[b]Quote: "Is there a car

"Quote: "Is there a car with a AQ151 that I could switch over to marine?"
It is difficult to get a car to float, let alone plane out properly.

Best to start with a Fiberglass boat hull.
uhoh.gif

A serious answer would be to learn what you can of the two engines (auto/marine version of same) and of their differences. Then make an educated decision.
Mr. El P. would be a good one to chime in on this! "

"there are cars with a B21 tha

"there are cars with a B21 that you could use the long block from to fix what you have, but to swap to a different engine model requires all of the marine externals that are only found in a boat or complete marine package. "

Let me be more specific. Does

Let me be more specific. Does anybody know what automotive engine is the equilivent of the volvo AQ151 engine? What year and model car has that engine?

"AQ151 was a special 2.3L b230

"AQ151 was a special 2.3L b230 stroked to 2.5L. Don't think it appeared in cars as such.
The b230 was in cars in the late 80's, but buying one from a car would leave you with a parts list of about $5000 worth of stuff to get it into a boat.
Manifold and carbs alone would run you close to $2K"

"I THERE,

I´M FROM PORTUGAL

"I THERE,

I´M FROM PORTUGAL,AZORES AND I HAVE A AQ125A,AND I WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN CHANGE IT FOR A DIESEL MOTOR WITH THE SAME STERN DRIVE.

IS IT POSSIBLE? WICH ENGINE?

THANK YOU
ROEGR"

"Roger, best to start a new th

"Roger, best to start a new thread on your topic... maybe in the Volvo Penta Diesel section of the forum.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12494/12494.shtml"

Back