Logo

engine swap help

jigeye

Hi. New guy here.
1988 Four Winns Candia 210. Has a small block Ford (302) with OMC sterndrive. I would like to more power.
I'd like the basics on doing an engine/sterndrive swap to a larger engine.
I'm assuming the following would be critical but I do not know.
1. Engine bolt pattern/size
2. weight
3. hole cutout for sterndrive.

Any other help appreciated

If you are removing everything old and replacing with new, no issues. Hole cutout and bolt pattern in transom is same for Volvo Mercruiser and OMC.
If you wish to keep current outdrive, uprate to Ford 351W, which will let you swap over all the engine accessories. These can be supercharged easily with a Vortech. If you go larger to a big block, the best thing would be to replace everything since the old drive is not geared properly. Try this or this.

Hre is a thought, but I suggest this Gingerly because I know that some OMC owners are sensitive about the OMC issues. But here is my suggestion:

The OMC Cobra is a candidate for the Volvo Penta DP-S conversion.
It requires a kit that will include an engine mounted sea water pump, and some goodies for at the drive.
You get to keep your transom assembly and most engine components.

The benefit of the Duo Prop is amazing.
I'll venture to say that if you were to compare your 302 w/ the DP-S to that of your current single prop OMC drive and a 351............, the 302 w/ the Duo Prop will outperform the other!

You also get to completely eliminate the ESA system because you no longer have Dog Clutch gear engagement.
You also get to sell a working Cobra drive, and re-coop some of your cost.

You can also do an SX conversion if staying with a single prop is suitable.

From what info you can find on line, the Alpha and Cobra drives are at/near their limits at/around 300 hp and/or in hulls at/near 26 feet.
This is not true of the SX or DP-S drives.

Food for thought! No offense to any Cobra owners.

Last edited:
same cutout for a alpha. You sure you like the hull that mush cause in this economy you can buy a whole new boat for the same money to drop in a new motor and drive.

But if you want to save the drive and drop in a 351. Don't have to touch the drive.

Know of a donor boat in your area with the drive and motor you want with a bad hull cheap buy it and change everything over to your good hull.

Back