Logo

engine replacement

minthesparky

I have a 2004 mercruiser 3.0 and im having nightmares with it. We just want to be able to put boat in the water and go.

Is it a plug and play install to swap the 3.0 to a new 3.0 tks?

Our current engine has run great the last few years until this summer, our son was wakeboarding and it just cut out and we couldn't get it to restart, we had a marine mechanic come have a look and they found the fuel filter disintegrated (we have it serviced at before the summer every year), they couldn't get it back running while they were there but has been in there workshop for 6 weeks having a new carb, fuel pump, fuel lines, dis cap, rotor, leads, service, manifold gasket.

We went out today first time since got it back on friday and after 10 minutes, put son in water to wake board, he had been on 2 minutes and it died again. we could get it to start and run/drive for about 10 seconds and it would die every time but managed to get back to ramp.

So before it goes back to them, i might cut my losses and just buy a replacement engine and install it myself and just want to know if there are any things that don't work or is it a complete straight swap and everything just plugs in with no additional works?

Thanks in advance

Replacing the engine most likely will not solve the pdoblem.

Bring it back and make them fix it correctly and completely.

Suggest you make sure your "marine mechanic" advertises Mercruiser repair, or tow it somebody who does. First rule. Ever have the outdrive rebuilt in that 20 year old boat?

.... put the boat in the water and go.

Since you paid for a resolution the fuel delivery issue, and they failed to repair it, you are entitled to some form of relief. Whether that involves returning the boat to the mechanic, or some legal action is up to you but don't let them off the hook.
Now, that said, you probably need to have the tank cleaned out. From the description, you appear to have some contamination in the fuel so that even with the new parts you are still sucking up bad gas. It may be water has pooled in the tank, but I think that whatever it is, this may be the source of your issues.

Would agree with the others here that there is no need to replace the engine. You likely have fuel system contamination that they didn't completely clean out. Its terrible the guy had it 6 weeks to do a couple days of work on it.

If you wanted to do anything to it drop the fuel filter off the pump and see what the fuel in there looks like. If you have the skill to change out an engine you certainly can clean out the fuel tank and rebuild a carb.

Back