Logo

Engine removeal Sterndrive removal

mgough46

"What is the main reason for h

"What is the main reason for having to remove the sterndrive before the engine can be pulled? My son-in-law wants to pull the motor from his boat without removing the stern drive! He has a 3.0 Mercruiser Alfa 1. I've always heard that the sterndrive must be pulled first, but didn't know why, since I have never pulled an engine before!"

"The stearn drive is directly

"The stearn drive is directly connected to the engine via a hard driveshaft and universal joints. The "U" joints allow the outdrive to raise/lower. These are guided by a gimbal bearing that needs to be aligned. The stearn drive must be removed because the driveshaft pulls out with the drive unit. It's a relativily easy process, disconnect the shift links, support the unit and unbolt it from the transom I would suggest you purchase the Clymer Mercruiser book, it gives step by step directions on how to remove and even rebuld the drives and engines. Ebay has them."

"The yoke (driven shaft to

"The yoke (driven shaft to the outdrive) slides into a coupler on the back of the flywheel. If you leave the outdrive installed, the engine will have to slide forward ~ 2", maybe-3", to clear it. That means forward mounts, too, at their bases."

"Well, he has pulled the motor

"Well, he has pulled the motor without removing the drive. I was originally doing the work, but he didn't think I knew what I was talking about when I said we need a manual and to pull the sterndrive. So he gets a friend that said he could pull the motor without removing the drive. I fear that when they go back with the motor, they may have some missalignment problems with the drive shaft and coupler, that may destroy the splines on the shaft, after operating the motor a short time!"

"[b]" fear that when they

"" fear that when they go back with the motor, they may have some missalignment problems with the drive shaft and coupler, that may destroy the splines on the shaft, after operating the motor a short time!"

Ayuh,... The odds are Extremely High that you're Right..."

"Very correct you are. There i

"Very correct you are. There is a simple alignment tool for that very reason but the lower unit must be removed. You might as well advise them to purchase a new gimbal bearing because they will need it after some running. It was always a practice of mine to replace the bearing during a pull because of its location and the fact that most owners neglect greasing and maintenance on the complete unit.
There are some manuals on ebay one for .99. You can have it in your hands by the time the engine is ready for placement. Ebay search "Clymer, mercuriser"
Whatever you choose best of luck, we are just trying to save some extra work further down.
Cal"

"I appreciate the help, but un

"I appreciate the help, but unfortunately, he is not talking to me anymore over this matter. I appreciate all the help everyone has given on the question of removeing the drive before pulling a motor! Thanks!"

Back