Logo

Engine mounts and the X dimension

settimo velo

Contributing Member
The X dimension (crankshaft centre line) on my Settimo Velo needs to be set 1/2" above the tops of the engine beds. As the engine mounting brackets are 3 5/8" below the centre line I will have to recess the engine beds by 3 1/8", unless there is another way?

Is it possible to acquire any alternative brackets, or to move the existing brackets in some way, to reduce the 3 5/8" dimension?

I do not have an engine to examine or a decent picture of this area, so I thought I would ask the Forum if anyone has encountered and overcome this problem?

I do not have an engine

Ayuh,.... So what are you trying to accomplish,..??

When I do a refit, I set the X dimension, mount the transom assembley, then hang the motor off it to determine where the front mounts go...

His problem is that the boat originally had V drives thus the stringer hieght is too high for conventional I/O configuration if I read his post correctly.

He would need to cut the stringers down almost 4 inches to get the "correct" geometry.

If this is the case I would cut the stringers to the correct depth and box them in with alluminium and refiberglass them in for a strong, long lasting stringer......Just my opinion. Also may want to cross brace the stringers for increased strength.

His problem is that the boat originally had V drives thus the stringer hieght is too high for conventional I/O configuration if I read his post correctly.

Yes, that is correct. The stringers are certainly too high for the GM based V6 and V8 engines, as delivered by Mercruiser and Volvo. However, the Settimo Velo was originally fitted with the Ford V8 block, so I am wondering
a) if the centre line to bottom of the engine mount dimension is less on the Ford block?
b) if there is a way to modify the GM arrangement to reduce the 3 5/8" dimension (centre line to bottom engine mount)
If it cannot be adjusted I will have to modify the stringers as per kghost recommends.

a) if the centre line to bottom of the engine mount dimension is less on the Ford block?
b) if there is a way to modify the GM arrangement to reduce the 3 5/8" dimension (centre line to bottom engine mount)

Ayuh,... With Mercruiser supplied motor mounts, the motors sit at the same attitude, 'n height...

If anything, you can ditch the Merc supplied motor mounts, 'n go to a different set up...
Google Off-shore engine mounting plates...
Something like this 1,...
small_inventory_384.jpg

Back