Logo

Engine missing revving high with quick throttle

Matthew Dennis

Having an issue with my '15 115 CT Merc. I was having issues with engine RPMs bouncing around and felt like prop was not catching water. This started to happen when I accidentally left anchor in and went full speed near weeds and sandbar. I pulled anchor up and has not been same since.

I have:
1) changed plugs
2) changed prop hub (hub was cracked)
3) changed prop (old one chewed up)
4) sea foam in gas tank

if I gradually increase throttle it seems to be ok and eventually gets to 6200 RPMs. A little higher than 6k recommend but am getting 26mph at 6k rpm. Problem is that if I push throttle to quick, the prop is not getting a hold of water and revs up to 6k with barely any forward movement. I have to back it down to try to get it to catch. Or sometimes it will catch but when trying to get to WOT it revs so high the engine starts making a sound like it is limiting or not getting enough gas.

I am am not sure if I have an engine issue or prop issue. Before this incident I did notice it would slip every now and than, but I typically did not have issues getting it out of the hole. Now it just dones nut jump out if hole like it used to misses gear/bite on water.

I have a 24' cypress cay with the 115 with a 16" 13p prop.

Any ideas on next steps to troubleshoot?

Back