Logo

Engine losing RPM

Charles Walker

Hello,
i have A 2001 mercury 50 hp four stroke motor that seems the bog down at 5000 RPMs. Everything that I've read indicates it's dirty carbs, so I ran a can of seafoam through the engine as well as a can of power tune sprayed directly into the carbs while running. The boat ran fine when I bought it but while on one of our first trips we hit another boats small wakes and the rpms dropped from 6000 to 5000. Since then I can not get the rpms to consistently stay up. I thought that a chunk broke free and entered the high speed carb jets. After the carb cleaner it more frequently flutters above 5000 but not consistently. It definitely got better. I really don't want to spend $600 to have carbs cleaned. Any ideas? Also I discovered a leak coming from the thermostat housing. I have ordered a new cover and gasket and am hoping that will be just as easy as removing two bolts and changing a gasket. Any advice on either is appreciated.

Also, FYI, I changed the fuel filter, fuel lines, spark plugs and fuel pump (because I snapped a nipple off changing the filter ��).

Last edited:
Back