Logo

engine i.d. help

Cheng

Hello all, I've just joined the forum and would like to find out more info on my Engines. Here's what I know Crusader 350's Port/Stbd. Installed on a Luhrs 34'. The serial #'s indicate engine model year 1990. I'd like to get the best shop repair manual I can get. From reading some of the posts it looks like some smart individuals are present, and I'd would like to ask semi intelligent questions I appreciate comic relief if it merits. I'm experiencing Stbd engine problems, similar to other posts, Engine bogs at 1/4 throttle on up under load. I rebuilt the carb and adjusted timing (to make it run):rolleyes: the first time and it straightened up. It showed the same symptom after running hard similar to the first event after a few months. Its time to fix it so I'll zero in on this one and let you know what was the cause. Engine history looks like original engine with unknown hours but Port eng is a rebuild, different carb and a non ferrous oil pan. I'm thinking worst case, Worn out Engine, Timing chain stretched or worn timing gears. withering down to distributor. So far I moved the distributor initially to clear problem now I'm at the end of travel on the distributor. The Engs are counter rotating. Snapper season just started in Florida and its a bad time to be at the pier. Exhaust appears normal, not missing Revs up high in neutral maybe a little miss and a small backfire now! Tomorrow is discovery day. Thanks in advance for any input!

More info.

Which ignition systems?

Are you certain that both are RH Rev Rotation?
Industry standard means to determine rotation is if viewed from the flywheel end (not from the front).
Flywheel rotates CCW, this will be a LH Std Rotation engine.
Flywheel rotates CW, this will be a RH Rev Rotaton engine.

Oil pump and ignition distributors rotate the same on either engine.

As for nearing the end of travel re; the distributor housing, simply lift the unit up to disengage the gears...., drop back in while indexing one gear tooth favoring the direction that helps you.
Re-Set BASE advance, check progressive and TA.... and you'll be OK.

Since you have twins.... some parts can be swapped as part of your P of E.... (process of elimination).
Carburetors, for example, can be easily swapped.
Ignition distributors, but only if both engines are same rotation (has to do with a thrust surface in the distributor)

Thanks Ricardo, Model#'s on the engines are C350LH, C350RH I think the props turn out board each side, I'll confirm that today. As for the distributors I'm not sure of the make, other than I'm thinking they are original, maybe a pict can be posted for correct ID. Standby, today is look at it and eliminate the possibilities, I'll try to roll the distributor a tooth for better timing results, Right now I think that's the issue. Thanks!!

Cheng:

welcome to the board.

I would continue to trouble shoot the issue and proceed from there. the model numbers you gave say you have one normal and one reverse rotation engine (your problem child, unless you have the 1.88 or 1.91 older BW gears). If it is original Crusader, the distributors are interchangeable, if you need to do that. A picture (or two) to ID them (or their model number if you can find the plate) would be good, too.

I'd suggest verifying the ignition timing advances with RPM as step one...also - one (common) fuel tank or one for each engine?

Thanks mark, tough day on the firing line. We discovered that the tab was hitting on the oil sender unit not allowing the dist, to be turned any further. Rubbing was observed in the dist cap on the top by the rotor, it turns out you have to snap the rotor in the slot

Thanks mark, tough day on the firing line. We discovered that the tab was hitting on the oil sender unit not allowing the dist, to be turned any further. Rubbing was observed in the dist cap on the top by the rotor, it turns out you have to snap the rotor in the slot force-ably which it wasn't. we did readjust to dist to give it more room for adjustment of the timing

Back