Logo

Engine dies at low RPM and idle 2005 3.0L

dice55

3.0 Mercruiser I/O Alpha 05' Bayliner 175R less than 25 hours, Started getting hard to start then once going slow engine dies out, like no gas . Starts again if I can get it on plane it goes like a bandit. Slow down to slow speed and it stalls again.
Im going to change plugs, cap, and rotor today. And I have a new carb filter also. It just seem like its not any of these, I pulled plugs out and there clean. Tank vent comes to mind I think its right above the filler hose.
I have read others having this same problem but with no common answer. Also I've heard theres a low speed relay or adjustment on the cable or carb. Thanks any help appreciated

Re: Engine dies at low RPM and idle

Started getting hard to start then once going slow engine dies out, like no gas .

Does the engine have TKS or a 2 BBL carb? If carbed, the idle circuits are dirty. Any other fuel filters?

Re: Engine dies at low RPM and idle

One other possibility, especially if raw water pump is engine mounted and not in the drive... the raw water pump is dying. When mine died, the engine started to stall when the idle circuit cut out (did not run the engine that day above idle)... the next day, the serpentine belt started to slip and the raw water pump would not turn.

Back