Logo

engine cranking problem / wiring problems

bshrove

I have a 87 140 hp mercrusier and sometimes when i am turning the key i only get a click from the engine compartment, if i turn the key off and on a few times the starter will crank and fire up, I have pulled the starter and it is in the shop getting rebuilt but was wondering if I could have a bad starter slave solenoid? and if so does anyone have a good part number for the correct one? ( i live in Wyoming so not to many places to get correct info)

another question is someone before I got the boat did some wiring changes, the yelllow /red wire coming out of the main cannon plug next to the circuit breaker has been cut and capped another yellow/red wire on the engine next to the valve cover has been cut and capped, and yet another yellow/ red wire on the r/h side above the battery has been spliced and goes direct to the starter solenoid assuming some thing in the circuit has gone bad but not sure what, would this bypass anything? I would like to turn all the wiring back to normal but do not know the correct way to connect the wires, any help would be great thanks

Back