Logo

Engine bogging down 02 Mercury 50hp 2 Stroke

Jspat828

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and want to see if you can give me any feedback on the problems I’m having with my mercury outboard engine.

The main symptoms are that the engine bogs down after about 3000 RPMs and cannot get a wide-open throttle and also The center cylinder spark plug kept fouling for the last four weeks of water test until yesterday when the top cylinder spark plug fouled.

here’s what I have done so far:

as far as the fuel system goes I have checked all the fuel lines inside the boat for cracks and air leaks, I have checked to make sure that the tank is ventilated and the Is working right. I replaced every fuel line including the priming bulb to the engine and every fuel line under the Cowell. I’ve cleaned the carburetors three times and also cleaned out the fuel pump. The old fuel line with the priming bulb that was on the boat had a liner inside of it that broke up and clogged the fuel system so I had to clean it thoroughly and replace all the lines on the engine including the fuel filter.

as far as the ignition goes. I replaced all the spark plugs and keep extras handy, I replaced all the CDM coils and keep extras handy, I replace the stater and trigger, and also the voltage regulator. After one ride on the water I noticed a voltage gauge freaking out and when I checked under the hood after getting off the water there were two connectors coming from the stater that were melted and also a gray wire connector coming from the voltage regulator that was melted. So I replaced the wiring connectors and a voltage regulator.

I am at a loss at this point and don’t know what else to try. I bought a fuel pump rebuild kit with diaphragms etc. I will replace that today. Should I actually rebuild carburetors?

Josh

Welcome.....Fowling of plugs is often a spark issue. Did you test spark for a 7/16 to 1/2" crackling hot spark. Fashion yourself a simple gap tester, remove all plugs. Test one at a time with fully charged battery (12.65 volts). If wires melted you, of course, have an intermittent short...perhaps you have corrected it. Make sure you do that electrical work with battery disconnected.....you probably know that, anyway. Revisit ignition switch. A shorted switch can cause expensive repairs.

Do you think even after changing everything from the stator to the plugs I may still have an ignition problem? I replaced the ignition switch 4 weeks ago after I lost my keys. How would the ignition switch effect the spark? Thanks again for your help

It could short across putting power where it's not supposed to go....like the stop circuit. I think there is one more spark making/control component that could fail. I think your motor has a rev limiter. However, I am far from an expert on your particular motor. I will appeal to my mentors here to advise.

Last edited:
Back