Logo

Electronic Winch VS Windlass??

Hey all,

Has anyone tried to use an electronic winch to drop & retrieve their anchors? I know that the windlass is the proper tool to use but as I'm sure your aware the windlass runs between $600.00 & $1000.00 where I've found The VIPER Max 4500 Pound Waterproof ATV Winch by Kawasaki for only $229.00. Being that the unit is completely sealed and waterproof I dont see why it cant be used as an anchor retriever. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this matter?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,
EP

Ditto Chris!
The money potentially saved will be paled by comparison to that of your frustrations as you watch a neighboring boat owner sit at his helm, and deploy or retrieve his anchor.
When a Windlass if set up correctly..... and only when correctly, you can't beat them.

There's a reason why marine units cost as much as they do. If that winch cuts out on you when you're trying to get out of an anchorage with the storm of the century quickly approaching and time is of the essence, you've saved nothing. If you're lucky, and that situation ends up costing you nothing out of pocket, what price would you put on your stress? And if you're married with wife on board, well, need I say more!! Also, the Horizontal rating of a winch does not apply to a vertical load. If pulling a vertical load, I believe the rating drops to 1/3 the stated rating.

Thanks guys for all the responses. Its nice to have a forum where we can get advice on boating questions. Once again, thanks to all. Will have to splurge for the $800.00 windlass. Good luck to all

Back