Logo

Electrical wiring

Doug Whetstone

I recently purchased a 1982 Mercury 800. I am replacing the remote control unit and wiring harness but the wiring inside the motor is not original. Can someone identify the electrical terminals for me? I have photos showing the terminals but was not able to upload them to this post. Can send to an email if someone wants to help.

Haventaclue, I already have a wiring diagram, but thanks anyway. My problem is I don't know which terminal on the motor is which. For example, where is the terminal for the tachometer, the choke, the rectifier, etc?

Two wires from the stator, should be yellow/red stripe, under the flywheel, go to the rectifier.
The tach wire is/should be, a grey one and it connects to one of the yellow/red stator wires on terminals on the rectifier, a red wire comes from the ignition switch to the third terminal, marked + , on the rectifier. It is spliced within the harness with the "exciter" wire to the starter solenoid.
The choke wire comes from the ignition switch to the choke solenoid it self.
Probably in your replacement remote control the kill circuit will be black/yellow stripe, it connects to the switch-box. The terminal on the switch-box will have the colour code marked on it.
Reading your post, I gather the harness has been mutilated by a previous owner. That being the case, I would suggest a replacement engine side harness which would be plug and go. Pic would greatly help as we could have a look at what you have.
To upload photos, click Go Advanced button on the bottom right. When it opens, click Manage attachments, another page opens, top right click Add Files.

Back