Logo

Electric shift question

stoweii

Took my 1974 gulfstream out this past weekend and can not seem to get it to shift into a higher gear just runs in lower gear is there a fuse or something that needs to be replaced? I think there may be a short in the shifter when i but the boat into gear my fisher finder shuts down very strange help please?

i would start with my shifter clean the contact points real good and look for any frayed or broken wires, what type of outdrive you have is it the old stringer electric shift

Yes I think it is the old stringer it has ceramic fuses on top could it be any of them
i went from a point system to a electronic ignition this winter could that cause this also?

its very posseble when you replace your distributor you got it out of time alittle if its retarded it wont give the full hp it will be really slugish is it a ford motor

the reason i say this the electro magnet coils in your lower drive needs all the volts the shifter provides if you take away from that it could cause a slippage of gears in lower unit

it is a 318 dodge, and yes it only has f-n-r I will give this a try, so maybe the timing is off I will look into this thank you for your help. my garmin keeps flashing at me that there is only 10 volts in the system maybe this is a probl;em too?

I always thought it was a 302 Ford but the only points that I can ever find came from a dodge ford ingnition parts dont work

look on your manifold for the fireing order and let me know what it is i can tell you right quick if its a ford it could be a 351 windsor ford which blocks are the same as a 302 but the heads are bigger and the intake is bigger and the distrbutor is diffrent than the regular type that are in auto

the way omc thought when makeing their boat if a chevy mam iked a chevy they would put a chevy motor in it, if a ford man liked a ford ,they would do the same, so on, but i really think it was who got the contract for the yr or yrs, but i can tell you this the electric shift are nice but you have to really treat them with respect per manual im guessing its a 235 hp outdrive parts are getting harder to find for doit yourselfers i have 2 trim pumps for mine i bought 9 yrs ago just to have in stock i have a extra outdrive i rebuilt instock just incase i would need one

here are pictures of my boat motor and out drive hope this helps

Attachments

• downsized_0608001127.jpg
    downsized_0608001127.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 132
  • downsized_0608001128.jpg
    downsized_0608001128.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 115
  • downsized_0608001128a.jpg
    downsized_0608001128a.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 106
  • downsized_0608001128b.jpg
    downsized_0608001128b.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 113
  • downsized_0608001130.jpg
    downsized_0608001130.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 114
on your dash your going to se a button that should say bow up bow down what this does it raises your motor up and down to help trim your boat out and you will know when you have the right spot cause your boat will haul ass all of a sudden this might be your prob

if you have this system you will see a small pump on the left front side of engine with a cple of sylinoids on it let me know we can go from there

see the big "140" in the last pic on the outdrive.
That's an outdrive from a boat with a 3.0Litre 4 cylinder 140HP engine.
It has the wrong gear ratio in it for the Ford V8 engine.
That's why you feel like you are in the wrong gear.
You are, technically.

You know I would normaly think that is true, but I ran this boat last year just like it is and it ran great whatever is going on with it has happened over the winter thank you for your help. last night I tried it with it in netraul and it ran at 12.9-13 volts but when i put it in gear dropped to 10 volts I think it is electical

do you have another prop to try?

prop hub might have spun- rubber rotted over the winter

a lot of people think those pin type props have no rubber hub, but they do indeed

Back