Logo

Electric fuel pump - no power

sdoomaha

Been away for quite a while,,,but got boat out of storage after 2 years and dealing with a few issues. 1994 Caravelle with 4.3. Bilge pump, livewell pump, gas gauge all pretty easy to handle. electric fuel pump is another story.

Searched the forum for electric fuel pump in electrical and here...but didn't find anything that seemed applicable...my apologies if I overlooked.

When turn the key to on before putting into storage..... the electric fuel pump would run for several seconds. Now when I turn the key the pump is not coming on at all. Hooked up ohms meter to the fuel pump wiring at the pump and it is getting no power. Ran jumpers to the pump straight from the battery and the pump begins working. Next plan is to trace back the wiring from the pump to see if I can spot any mouse damage etc creating the issue...but on initial inspection there was nothing obvious.

Are there any relays, fuses etc that I need to be checking along the way?

Any thoughts, insights or directions truly appreciated!

THANKS!

Steve O!

The electric fuel pump has a low oil pressure cutout switch in it's circuit. This prevents the fuel pump from running when the engine is off. The switch closes during cranking when a minimum oil pressure is reached. This switch is located mid port under the exhaust manifold with two harness wires plugged in. To test the pump, disconnect these two leads and jump them together. With the key on the pump should start. Then you can test for continuity across the switch's two terminals. It should be closed with the engine running, open when off. If not, replace it.

Once you're finished shaking this down, reconnect this switch. It is a safety feature to prevent carb flooding if the engine kills, or you leave the ign. switch on.

I know what I am doing tonight after work!! : )

Huge thanks for the direction....wasn't sure where to start.

THANKS AGAIN!

Steve O!

Only a spe******t can help you with this problem. You need to find a good electrician nearby and ask them to fix this problem. I am not sure that such problems can be solved independently, I usually immediately contact the electrical contractor st louis mo and do not get nervous about the fact that there is no electricity.I advise you to take advantage of this opportunity and soon these guys will fix this problem, they always work very quickly and efficiently. I will stand up for the reliability of this company

looks like a spammer got in here too.ignore him
If your carb`d there is a pressure switch where the oil pressure sender is, try jumping those 2 wires to see if the pump activates. If yes, replace the pressure switch. Being that the switch fails from excessive pump current, install a 40A relay to power the pump and the existing wires to activate the relay thru the pressure switch.

Back