Logo

Early 70bs evinrude 65

C

Chuck Owen

This engine idles great and w

This engine idles great and when in neutral it will rev good and hard. But when I put it in gear it immediatly bogs down and i am lucky to get 1000 rpm's and it barely moves. If i try to give more throttle it dies. Anybody know what the deal is? I have a brand new fuel line and spark plugs.

"Chuck.... I strongly suspect

"Chuck.... I strongly suspect that your engine only seems to be idling great. Also note that it is deffinately not a good idea to attempt to rev that engine very high in neutral as it is possible to set up a runaway engine condition. In which case, before you have a chance to drop those rpms, you might have a connecting rod sticking out the side of your engine.

First, check the compression and ignition. The compression should be approx 100lbs and even on all cylinders. The spark, with the plugs out, should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame on all cyls. If these two items are okay, I'd suspect that you have either clogged/fouled carburetors that must be cleaned and rebuilt, or the timer base under the flywheel is sticking which would keep the engine at a retard spark condition.

Joe
"

Back