Logo

Early 60's ignition points.....Unavailable. Options?

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
I have a 1961 Mercury 500 outboard. It uses a breaker point PN 393-1504A11 and a few other similar part numbers. ALL are NLA, and even the Ebay searches are fruitless. I called the "Vintage Mercury Outboard" repair business from Wisconsin (they specialize in fully restoring every nut and bolt in these classic mercury motors) and the best they do on these motors is clean the points. Mopar Mall didn't even have any. My question is, what's the big difference between the point for say, the Mark 58's and the early 60's 500's? Those points are still available. My understanding was that the mark 58 and early 500's were the same motor aside from exhaust tuning differences. Yet the sites clearly say that those points are NOT for Merc 500's. Aside from buying up numerous parts motors, what are my options if I wish to keep this motor sparking in the long haul?

I have a 1961 Mercury 500 outboard. It uses a breaker point PN 393-1504A11 and a few other similar part numbers. ALL are NLA, and even the Ebay searches are fruitless. I called the "Vintage Mercury Outboard" repair business from Wisconsin (they specialize in fully restoring every nut and bolt in these classic mercury motors) and the best they do on these motors is clean the points. Mopar Mall didn't even have any. My question is, what's the big difference between the point for say, the Mark 58's and the early 60's 500's? Those points are still available. My understanding was that the mark 58 and early 500's were the same motor aside from exhaust tuning differences. Yet the sites clearly say that those points are NOT for Merc 500's. Aside from buying up numerous parts motors, what are my options if I wish to keep this motor sparking in the long haul?
https://www.oldmercs.com/product_p/393-1504a11.htm try him

Whatever route you take here are the setup steps
kiekhaefer-magnetosmall.jpg
also don't hold the magneto in your hand and spin it the shock may cause you do drop it; the wires are held in by screws so don't pull them out of the cap - the side terminal is for grounding to stop the motor don't put +12v to it.

The platinum is thick on those points and they rarely need replacement unless someone has used a point file on them. Only use crocus cloth and alcohol to clean them.

Back