Logo

E28ELCDC Cooling System Issue

Phoenix721

<p>
First time post here. Im partially rebuilding a new to me 1986 Evinrude 28 spl and am having troubles with the cooling system. Im not getting any water up to the powerhead. Ive replaced the water pump turned the driveshaft clockwise while installing the impeller housing blew air from the bottom of the water tube and am getting air out of the cooling discharge nipple on the exhaust cover plate with hose removed and out of the tell tale when the hose is attached to the cover plate. I also put the gearcase in a tank of water and turned the driveshaft with a drill and am getting 5 to 6 inches of water being pushed out of the impeller housing discharge. Something I noticed last night is the water tube wasnt seating to the water pump housing grommet. I noticed this by looking through the exhaust discharge at the rear of the cavitation plate. I shined a flashlight up through that opening and noticed about 3/4 inch of the water tube below the small flange that seats against the grommet was sticking up. I pulled the water tube out of the midsection and used a flashlight and looked up through the midsection to check the upper grommet which looked ok. I reinstalled the water tube and lower unit. The small flange on the water tube now seats against the lower grommet on the water pump. My questions are Am I missing a component on the upper part of the water tube that sets the tube correctly in the upper grommet? Has anyone seen an issue with the water tube being installed too high which would cause the water to discharge out around the lower grommet or possibly not be able to fill the water jacket due to the tube being pushed up against what I'm assuming is the bottom of the powerhead?</p>

Last edited:
Back