Logo

E120tlcur two of carburetors not working after numerous rebuilds

Fishbait in va

Have a fresh powerhead and in starting for first time only run on 2 cylinders checked for spark and have on all 4....checked all electrical everthing is in spec. Swapped carbs around and dead cylinders moved with the carbs have rebuilt and no change. Want to get new carb assembly and float bowl but cant find replacement carb assembly... what can i do???

Obviously, if the problem follows the carburetors, the carburetors are faulty.

In rebuilding those two carburetors... did you remove and manually clean the high speed jets with a piece of single strand steel wire, and actually inspect them before reinstalling them?

Yes sir all fittings have been observed to be open with wire and all passageways in carb assembly are clear cannot figure out why they are not working. And in my search for replacements cant find any except for the 140hp

Find some used carburetors on E-bay.-----There are lots off them around here / there everywhere.-----But that is my opinion.------Contact-------evinrudeparts.ca----If you like.

Yes sir all fittings have been observed to be open with wire and all passageways in carb assembly are clear cannot figure out why they are not working. And in my search for replacements cant find any except for the 140hp

Fishbait..... What I am concerned with is the high speed jets of which fuel must flow thru before it has access to any other fuel passageway. This jet would be located, hidden, horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, way behind the drain screw plug... and it must be perfectly clean.

Solvent just doesn't do that cleaning job properly. It needs to be carefully , manually cleaned with a piece of single strand steel wire. If you haven't done this, do so.

On a separate note... do the two carburetors in question function at "any" particular rpm... or simply have no working function at all... period!?

With no intention of insulting your intelligence but rather to clarify... those carburetors have a "Air Bleed Idle Jet" and a "Air Bleed Intermediate Jet" on the face of the carburetor, and a "Fuel Measuring High Speed Jet" within the float chamber housing. The only fitting I can think of at the moment would be the fitting where the supply hose attaches to.

The idle air bleed jet on the face of the carburetor would be the lower installed of the two jets (lowest #)... easy to screw up if you don't look at the numbers (ID size).

Have pulled out that jet and run a wire all the way into the float bowl observed the jet to be open also and clean pulled the intermediate and idle made sure they are clear checked the brass tubes from carb assembly to bowl and made sure they were open as well floats are set level with the sealing surface and bowl are filling as required

Have pulled out that jet and run a wire all the way into the float bowl observed the jet to be open also and clean pulled the intermediate and idle made sure they are clear checked the brass tubes from carb assembly to bowl and made sure they were open as well floats are set level with the sealing surface and bowl are filling as required...Also not working at idle or high speed

I'd say you've pretty well covered all the bases as the saying goes. Carburetors gone through to that extent, I would think, would have fuel flowing thru it properly... and you've stated that fuel is indeed entering the float chamber. The only things left in that case would be crankcase vacuum to pull the fuel in... BUT... those same cylinders function when equipped with the other carburetors.

A 1987 120 would have a single carburetor for each cylinder... and for two carburetors to have the identical problem that would affect any cylinder it is attached to... the odds are fairly astronomical. However, that effect does eliminate any possibility of an ignition problem.

The above leads straight back to those two carburetors which should function but are not. Without actually being there to examine them, I have nothing further to say and will back out of here to await what other members have to say.

You might want to do a search on eBay for 398393 or 431883... &... 398407 or 397419

Last edited:
If the cover plate is missing gasket, mounting o-ring incorrect or idle and intermediate jet swapped they wont pull fuel...

Back