Logo

E10- Ethanol fuels

stindi

I am new to the board here and didn't get as far as I should have. My first post had to do with my engine having trouble and the E10 fuel I had been using. Since posting my first post, I have found some things out and thought I would share.
E 10 has a shelf life of about 90 days before phase separation starts. That time is reduced if water is involved. Once separation has occurred, you are left with a high octane alcohol and slower octane gasoline, possibly lower than the manufactures specs of 87. Separation cannot be reversed once it has occurred.
For most of us, using the fuel we have in our boats in 90 days isn't possible. I hold 96 gallons, with the use of my boat, I hardly can use 1/3 of that in a few days fishing off shore, much less in the back waters. 2 week trips to the west coast of Florida I only used about 60 gallons, so with limited use, here comes the problem.
Do you keep the tank full to reduce condensation? Do you only put in what you think you'll need for your day? Kind of dangerous on that one... LOL
BTW, mixing E10 with regular gas is also a bad idea... The MTBE has ill effects when mixed with alcholol...
Oh, and here's another little item as well. While the stickers on the pump SAY less than 10% that isn't always true. There could be far more than 10% in the mix. More space for water... And very poor for most engines...
This stuff is trouble for boats, no two ways about it. Should I find myself forced to use it, I will be draining some from the tank after time, to see that my problems don't happen again.
How I wish I had known...

Last edited:
Fuel Stabilizers will help what's in your tanks last longer. Not a cure-all but a help. Condensation is only an issue if the tank see big temperature swings when almost empty in humid environments. Phase separation time is driven by the environment and what's in the tank so don't assume you are always good for 90 days.

Best approach is to buy your fuel from a good supplier that routinely tests their products and maintains their equipment.

If you are going out and need only 20-30 gallons (with a reserve) for the trip, does it make sense to carry the 'extra' 500 pounds of gasoline? That's your call.

All good points. And true.
Unfortunately I am a creature of habit. In south Florida, it was always best to keep the tank full due to the high humidity. Less room for water to form. Unfortunately, I didn't hear about nor realize the problems with E10 until it was too late. I'm just hoping to save someone else the aggravation and expense of what has transpired.
Thanks for your responses. :)

Back