Logo

Dumb distributor

mmarks00

"i removed the distributor for

"i removed the distributor for repairs and replaced the timing belt.now im going to put the distributor back in on my aq125b and im not sure were it lines up. there is a line on the distributor rim,do i set the rotor up with the lineon the distributor rim and line up the cap on #1"

"Don't know about that lin

"Don't know about that line, however, the "standard" way to set this up for any 4 stroke engine...

1) Remove spark plug from cylinder #1
2) Put your finger tip over the spark plug hole.
3)Crank or turn engine with a large wrench until piston #1 is on the compression stroke. You will feel pressure on your finger tip.
4) STOP turning the engine when piston #1 is at the absolute top most point in the compression stroke ( you can usually see the piston top in 4 bangers looking in the hole... I usually insert a soda straw in the plug hole and rock the crank back and forth with a wrench to make sure I'm at the top. I always make sure that I set this with the engine being rotated in its proper direction...
5) Set to rotor in the cap so that it is pointing at spark plug #1's contact in the cap.
6) Making sure the rotor does not turn relative to the hopusing, insert distributor in the block.
7) Snug dist lock bolt pending final timing.

When done. Rotor should pointing to contact for spark plug#1 in the cap and the piston should be at TDC of the compression stroke.

Set the timing per specs."

thanks i will give it a try.st

thanks i will give it a try.still would like to know what the notch on the distributor is when removing the cap. if you know can you let me know.

"The line on the rim indicates

"The line on the rim indicates cylinder 1 top dead center rotor ignition timing position - which is where you want to be in a normal timing belt change.
I'd suggest a little grease on the portion of the dist. section that holds the o ring - I've had bad experiences when they get stuck.
As you install the dist., you'll find the rotor will pivot as you fully engage the gears - no worries.
Just pull out, adjust the rotary position of the rotor to compensate, re-insert - you'll get it after a couple of tries."

Back