Logo

Driveshaft Sheared off in Powerhead - 1981 Johnson 15hp

FishyBC

Contributing Member
Hello,
A friend's son brought his motor to me to have a look for him. He was up fishing and hit somehing (I'm assuming hard)
I pulled the lower unit and the splines on the top of the driveshaft going into the motor are gone. I suspect they are up in the powerhead still.
I tried to use a magnet but no luck. I'm surprised that the hub on the prop didn't let go first.

Anyone dealt with this before ? Is the powerhead going to need to come off to get it out or is it now a good parts motor ?

^^^^^^ what racer said. If you are able to drill and tap put some stong penetrating oil, Kroil" is a great one. Or acetone/atf mix and let it soak before trying. If that fails it can be "carefully done by welding something to attach a slide hammer too. Key word "carefully", as done wrong you can arc bearings, cook seals, warp the crank end out of round or weld the attaching object to the crank. Keep us informed as to how it goes...

I recommend checking compression first to see if it's worth it. After the strike it could have over-revved too, causing damage. Crank splines could be bad also. May be lower unit damage as well. Flywheel key or flywheel could be damaged. Evaluate first....before spending too much time or effort. A 15 hp carb alone is worth $200 bucks. Let me know what you find....I use Pay Pal.....Ha!

Last edited:
Back